Which school to choose Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jpmn

New

Which school to choose

Post by Jpmn » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:30 am

First time poster on Top law schools (normally on r/lawschooladmissions). I just wanted to get an opinion on which would be best for my current situation.
Some of these are hypotheticals as I haven’t been accepted yet. The figures are Total COA for three years.
Notre Dame: 90k
Fordham:180k
Lower T14 (NU, Cornell, GULC): 300k
USC: 165k

I am an international student, so would need biglaw sponsorship. However, many US biglaw firms have offices in my home country and city (Tokyo, Japan), so maybe that could help a bit? I do have legal connections in Japan (from internships and whatnot) if I really do get deported out the US, so I could potentially hustle.
I am currently leaning towards NDLS.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Which school to choose

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:50 am

If you want to stay in the US, any of the T14. If you don't, or you're cool with a toss up, NDLS. That's a pretty great price for a borderline T20 school.
Honestly, I'd probs still take NDLS, unless it just has a weak name brand in Japan. If it does, I'd take Cornell or GULC purely because I think (maybe wrongly) that they have strong networks and prestige abroad- NDLS might, I just don't know and I think those other two would have more.

I'd personally be stuck between your T14 choices and NDLS, and, as an American, I'd take ND. Again, it just doesn't offer BL at the rates Cornell does (albeit, I think it is getting pretty close to GULC?).

Best of luck, tough choice but a good place to be.

Jpmn

New

Post by Jpmn » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:27 am

Thank you for your insight!!! I think NDLS is the way to go too, especially with the generous scholarship, but I’ll wait on my other decisions first.

Access

New

Post by Access » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:51 pm

Assuming those options, which we don't know yet, imo it's NU/Cornell > ND >>> Fordham/USC >> GULC.

Also negotiate scholarships. T13 won't match ND but may give you something based on it.

Jpmn

New

Post by Jpmn » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, I’ll definitely negotiate scholarships at the different schools I’m accepted at. I was thinking if I could increase USC’s scholarship, that would be better given their high BL rates? Or would it still be better to go to NDLS given their lower tuition and COA?

Access

New

Post by Access » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:03 pm

I'm not super well versed in the difference between ND and USC, just going based on scholarships. Both solid options if you're not taking a ton of debt. If the goal is biglaw then only go to a T13.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”