Paralegal work before law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
studyingstudent

New

Paralegal work before law school?

Post by studyingstudent » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently graduated from undergrad and have worked in non-profit management over the last year. I was recently offered a paralegal position at a biglaw firm. Much of the work I do in non-profit management is remote/on your own time and is something I am passionate about. If I accept, I plan to continue doing that work alongside my "day job" as a paralegal. The compensation for the paralegal is great, but I am concerned that paralegal work won't really be seen as special to an LS admissions committee and that I should focus entirely on non-profit management. Would working as a paralegal at a biglaw firm be necessarily beneficial for LS admissions? (Stats ~ GPA: 3.7mid; LSAT: 16high)

nixy

Gold

Re: Paralegal work before law school?

Post by nixy » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:41 pm

Do whichever you prefer. Both are fine for law school applications. You’re right that non profit management will probably stand out more to adcomms, but if you want the paralegal gig (for money or to check out the legal profession) it’s fine to take it, with it or without the non-profit management. (Just make sure the management gig wouldn’t pose a conflict for the paralegal position and that you actually can handle both at the same time.)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”