Should I disclose previous termination? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EmilyM54

New

Should I disclose previous termination?

Post by EmilyM54 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:19 pm

I recently began working for a really good law firm, and I am now applying to T14-T30 law schools. However, I am worried that my experience with the previous job may come back to haunt me in terms of law school admissions or bar character and fitness. I was fired about a few months ago for being insubordinate and rude to my boss and messed up a certain court for filing. All these were brought to my attention on the day I was fired without any warning given beforehand.

I have two years of partially paid experience with a company and with a law firm prior to this job. It is likely that both places will be able to provide a good reference.

I am looking for advice on what I should do under these circumstances. Should I disclose this experience to my law schools or try to keep it hidden? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

nixy

Gold

Re: Should I disclose previous termination?

Post by nixy » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:56 pm

You should answer honestly whatever the application asks. If the application asks if you've ever been terminated from a job, answer yes. If it asks for the reasons for the termination, give the reasons. Trying to cover up something in your past is invariably much worse than just owning up to whatever it is.

And I can't imagine that there would be any C&F implications. People get fired from jobs all the time. Being rude and screwing something up aren't ethical issues. If you'd embezzled client funds or deceived the court or the like it might be different, but you should be completely fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”