I am an Immigrant Software Engineer living in USA for last 7 years and seeking admission to Flex JD Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mbusiness

New

I am an Immigrant Software Engineer living in USA for last 7 years and seeking admission to Flex JD

Post by mbusiness » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:32 pm

Hi All
I wish to pursue my JD degree; I hold my masters in Software Engineering and working professional having 17 years of experience as software engineer. Since last 7 years I am living in USA (Virginia) . I wanted to complete my degree as Flex JD (Part time).

Please guide me if I need to take Tofel/ILETS course and take LSAT exam for getting admission in to average schools.
Thanks and Regards,
Babu

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: I am an Immigrant Software Engineer living in USA for last 7 years and seeking admission to Flex JD

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:24 pm

I would stick with IT unless your life dream is to be like a prosecutor or something.
1) Law doesn't pay much and is a bimodal career (very few jobs pay that 200k+ salary and you need to attend a top 10 or so school to guarantee that outcome- the vast majority of legal jobs start out around 60-80k).
2) Your age. If you're trying to get into Biglaw (those jobs that pay that 200k+ salary) you'll have bosses who are 30 bossing you around. That's not something I personally cherish, but it might be something you are okay with.
3) Law isn't really glamorous- it isn't Courtroom battles (unless you are in criminal law- which doesn't pay well), or thinking of new precedent to fight over for the first amendment (with a top 10 school you can get a jobwith the ACLU and do that, but it won't pay well either). A good amount of law is just paperwork review- which isn't terrible and has its interesting points, but do not expect to be Aticus Finch or something.
4) Finally, as far as I know, those Flex programs are quite expensive and do not help one get a legal job- I could be wrong on this now, but from what I recall they were great programs.

To answer your questions: Reach out to LSAC, they'll be able to tell you about Tofel. You will need to take the LSAT or GRE for most schools. I recommend the LSAT as it seems schools are more likely to give scholarships with LSAT scores.

Jennysm43

New

Re: I am an Immigrant Software Engineer living in USA for last 7 years and seeking admission to Flex JD

Post by Jennysm43 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:47 am

mbusiness wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:32 pm
Hi All
I wish to pursue my JD degree; I hold my masters in Software Engineering and working professional having 17 years of experience as software engineer. Since last 7 years I am living in USA (Virginia) . I wanted to complete my degree as Flex JD (Part time).

Please guide me if I need to take Tofel/ILETS course and take LSAT exam for getting admission in to average schools.
Thanks and Regards,
Babu
Yes, you should take the TOEFL/IELTS and LSAT exams to apply for admission to Flex JD programs. The requirements vary from school to school, but a passing score on both exams is typically needed to be considered for admission. You may also need to provide letters of recommendation, transcripts, personal statements, and other documents to be considered for admission. It would be best to check with the program's requirements to make sure you have all of the necessary requirements.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”