undergrad transfer student gpa calculation question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AJFLY

New

undergrad transfer student gpa calculation question

Post by AJFLY » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:05 pm

Hi,

I am new to the platform and have already read lots of insights! Really appreciate the community here.

I would like to ask a question regarding undergrad GPA calculation in law school admission. I am a transfer student who attends one college for two years and another for two years (will graduate from the latter). In self-assessing my undergrad gpa to the law school class profile median gpa, which calculation method should I use as a benchmark? Does LSAC combine the two or they are reported separately?

In my own case, I previously attended a top-30 college and my gpa was very close to perfect; however, after transferring to a top-10 college known for grade deflation, my gpa at the new institution is just slightly above 3.8.

I understand there are lots of variables to consider in law school application; but since GPA is a very important factor I really want to know how it will be calculated by the admission officers for undergrad transfer students.

Thanks for any comments in advance!

talons2250

Bronze

Re: undergrad transfer student gpa calculation question

Post by talons2250 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:00 pm

AJFLY wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:05 pm
Hi,

I am new to the platform and have already read lots of insights! Really appreciate the community here.

I would like to ask a question regarding undergrad GPA calculation in law school admission. I am a transfer student who attends one college for two years and another for two years (will graduate from the latter). In self-assessing my undergrad gpa to the law school class profile median gpa, which calculation method should I use as a benchmark? Does LSAC combine the two or they are reported separately?

In my own case, I previously attended a top-30 college and my gpa was very close to perfect; however, after transferring to a top-10 college known for grade deflation, my gpa at the new institution is just slightly above 3.8.

I understand there are lots of variables to consider in law school application; but since GPA is a very important factor I really want to know how it will be calculated by the admission officers for undergrad transfer students.

Thanks for any comments in advance!
I believe the relevant GPA for admissions purposes is the GPA from the institution from which you received your bachelors degree. So not the school from which you transferred.

nixy

Gold

Re: undergrad transfer student gpa calculation question

Post by nixy » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:28 pm

I don’t think that’s strictly correct; LSAC requires you to submit all transcripts and includes grades for all credits earned before your first bachelor’s degree in its calculation. This is why people who attend multiple institutions, or who take community college classes while in high school or before they go to undergrad, end up with GPAs that are very different from the GPA they graduate with from their actual BA-granting institution.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”