first gen question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
uygiugiyugyugk

New

first gen question

Post by uygiugiyugyugk » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:27 pm

can i claim first generation college graduate if my parents only have trade certificates? mother has a certificate from ITT she got in the 80s, but no associate/bachelors. dad has nothing. i always considered this to mean college degrees (4 year, really).

talons2250

Bronze

Re: first gen question

Post by talons2250 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:30 pm

uygiugiyugyugk wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:27 pm
can i claim first generation college graduate if my parents only have trade certificates? mother has a certificate from ITT she got in the 80s, but no associate/bachelors. dad has nothing. i always considered this to mean college degrees (4 year, really).
yes, if there's space to clarify then write something like "first in family to have graduated from four-year college" or something like that.

uygiugiyugyugk

New

Post by uygiugiyugyugk » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:54 pm

talons2250 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:30 pm
uygiugiyugyugk wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:27 pm
yes, if there's space to clarify then write something like "first in family to have graduated from four-year college" or something like that.
there wasn't. i just put high school as their highest education since thats when they stopped formal schooling. mom dropped out of college and got a certificate/non-degree.

dad actually has a cosmetology license he got from barber school, which obviously i didnt indicate either.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:11 am

You're fine, a trade certificate isn't a degree. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

uygiugiyugyugk

New

Post by uygiugiyugyugk » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:50 am

nixy wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:11 am
You're fine, a trade certificate isn't a degree. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

thanks. I indicated both of them as "High School" for highest education level. I guess for mom I could have put "some college" (I think she did a few months before dropping out). I asked specifically if she had an AA and she said no. This was just in a bio section asking about my parents. so i just went with what they actually completed (HS).

i didn't think certificates count as "highest education level" either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”