Recession and Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sw1zler13x

New

Recession and Law School

Post by Sw1zler13x » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:51 pm

Hello TLS,

I am looking into attending law school. I am 36, in SoCal, and we have a few schools here that Associates do get hired on from as well. I am in an undergraduate program online at SNHU, but may transition my major from CS to another major such as Legal or Humanities/Communications.

Does my undergraduate degree matter if I want to specialize in corporate?

How is the legal field in a recession or downturn in an economy?

I have had high hopes for finance in the past, but I know bankers are going through layoffs. I want to utilize the time to finish my education (now that I can), and work the next 35-40 years.

Would my major affect what kind of law I work in, if I were to join Big-Law?

Thanks.

ukjobsonwetton

New

Re: Recession and Law School

Post by ukjobsonwetton » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:23 pm

Re: legal field in a recession
Los Angeles Law Firms Before and After Recessions.
From Milken Institute, and it was published last year.

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:27 pm

Sw1zler13x wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:51 pm
Hello TLS,

I am looking into attending law school. I am 36, in SoCal, and we have a few schools here that Associates do get hired on from as well. I am in an undergraduate program online at SNHU, but may transition my major from CS to another major such as Legal or Humanities/Communications.

Does my undergraduate degree matter if I want to specialize in corporate?

How is the legal field in a recession or downturn in an economy?

I have had high hopes for finance in the past, but I know bankers are going through layoffs. I want to utilize the time to finish my education (now that I can), and work the next 35-40 years.

Would my major affect what kind of law I work in, if I were to join Big-Law?

Thanks.
Your undergraduate major does not matter and would not affect what kind of law you'd be qualified to work in if you wanted to join BigLaw. If you majored in science or engineering that could help with patent law but that's pretty much where the relevance ends. I suppose a finance/economics major could be helpful for corporate practice at a firm just because you'd be familiar with the concepts maybe, but that's not something that would help you get hired, it would just help you do better in your early years at the firm. In terms of getting hired in biglaw, 95% is the school you went to (how highly ranked/prestigious) and your 1L grades. The other 5% is your personality, background, how you interview, etc.

ukjobsonwetton

New

Post by ukjobsonwetton » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:29 pm

If you want corporate, why not take accounting and business classes, commerce and finance major.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”