Feeling Lost / Chance Me - 2.2, 177 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GoSpartans95

New

Feeling Lost / Chance Me - 2.2, 177

Post by GoSpartans95 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:32 pm

I'll start with my stats: 2.21 GPA, 177 LSAT, URM (f Hispanic). 5 yrs in work. Even though I have a high LSAT, I am feeling really lost because of my GPA. Obviously I will be writing an addendum but I don't really have an amazing explanation for the low GPA outside of not really taking undergrad seriously. In my 5 years of work I have been incredibly successful and have grown a ton since my undergrad and actually plan to take LS serious

I know that with my LSAT score, a law school is an option, but I worry about getting into big law from the type of school that would take my GPA. In my line of work (Finance), I've done lots of work with, and alongside, these firms, and with my understanding of what the culture, job, so forth are like, it's what I want to do and why I am pursuing law at all. I don't worry about my future performance in school or in practice.

There's little information on a splitter of my magnitude online out there and everything is pointing to a t50 and under. I know how much of a struggle it can be to make a leap from a school here to big law and the more I read the more helpless I feel. I will continue to push forward regardless but would just like to hear some thoughts from the forum.

anymouseqwerty

New

Re: Feeling Lost / Chance Me - 2.2, 177

Post by anymouseqwerty » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:08 pm

The only way to know is to apply. Your background is too rare for people to give quality statistical predictions on outcomes. That being said, a tight package that’s been reviewed by a “professional” can only help. My advice is to apply ASAP, see what happens with the early apps, and then adjust from there. The more apps, the better, because you might need some luck with the 2.2 gpa. But there is only one way to find out.

Also, my guess (it’s only a guess) is that parts of the T-14 are absolutely willing to bite on a 177 URM with work experience. Apply broadly to find out for sure.

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:06 pm

Entering class profiles suggest that you won’t get in anywhere selective but with such extreme splitting you really are a wildcard. I’d say T30 is unlikely but T50 is possible. Only way to find out is to apply.

pavementfan

New

Post by pavementfan » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:03 am

Definitely look into the Wash U (T20?) option that allows you to redact your GPA. I feel like you will definitely be able to swing a full ride or something of the sorts there. To my knowledge, there are a few other law schools that have that kind of program.

I don't know, I don't necessarily think the T30 is foreclosed, esp since you have quite a bit of distance from undergrad. Make sure to apply early, and potentially put in an ED application for a t20 school you are excited about.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:12 pm

I don't think an addendum saying you've grown/matured/focused is a bad idea. You can talk about your professional accomplishments and how you went from an unfocused student to a focused professional. Worst case they just ignore it, best case it gives them enough of a "hook" to ignore the GPA.

Super-splitters can be really unpredictable, but if your focus is biglaw, I wouldn't bother applying below the T30 or so. You don't HAVE to go to law school. If things don't go well, you can always try again in a new cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”