Am I a lock for Vandy ED? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
taterzz

New

Re: Am I a lock for Vandy ED?

Post by taterzz » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:20 pm

ehwhitemamba wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:29 pm
3.98/169, nURM, a few solid internships, NCAA athlete

Obviously no applicant is ever a "lock" but I'd like to hear some opinions on this. The automatic scholarship that comes with Vandy's ED seems like a great deal; the tuition cost would be about 17k/year. I like their job outcomes and geography.

The LSD-type websites are giving me mixed signals so I'd appreciate some anecdotal insight/guidance on if I'm short or over-selling myself. I'm pretty dead-set on pulling the trigger but I'm not sure about how wide I want to cast my application net. Biglaw is my goal but midlaw would be fine especially with the relatively modest amount of debt Vandy would have me take on.

My question boils down to whether it's worth my time/money to, in addition to Vandy ED, blanket the t14 plus safety schools or just pick a couple t14s and safties. Thanks
My admission cycle is wrapping up and I do not regret applying to 22 schools. I would advise blanketing the T14 with your near-perfect GPA. If you for whatever reason don't get into Vandy, you won't regret having options. With that being said, I think you have an excellent chance of being admitted assuming their LSAT doesn't raise to 170 after this current cycle. If I were you, I'd pull the trigger on Vandy ED. Vandy will get you midlaw at the minimum and for such a cheap price, it's hard to beat. I think choosing Vandy for 51k total tuition is defensible when compared to a T14 for 150k total tuition, which is likely what you would pay given your LSAT.

Also, Vandy's class of 2021 employment report indicates that out of 192 students, 92 went into 501+ BL, 24 into 250+ BL and 16 into federal clerkships. A 69% BLFC rate. Vanderbilt also reduced their class size from ~200 down to 150 for the class of 2024 and they intend on remaining at that size. In my highly speculative opinion, I think this will bolster the current employment stats by offsetting some of the slowdown in legal hiring for VLS students. Your goals are well served there, although I am biased because I am attending Vandy in the fall.

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:37 pm

Don’t do early to Vandy. Your numbers indicate that you’ll almost certainly get into a T14 and maybe even get a scholarship to a lower T14. You have an almost perfect UGPA and an LSAT score that puts you in the 25th to 50th percentile range in the latest entering classes at all the T14 schools except HYS, Columbia, and NYU.

Allegro3935

New

Post by Allegro3935 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:48 pm

Those numbers are beautiful. T20s/T14s will give you lots of money. Nevertheless, if you're dead-set on Vanderbilt, can't see yourself anywhere else, and you're okay with 17k/year in tuition...go ahead.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:08 am

Why on earth would you ED to Vandy? Your numbers will get you a great scholarship offer as is, and you'll have a shot at T13 schools with money.

Also, bear in mind that "midlaw" isn't a backup option for people who strike out at OCI for big firms. It tends to refer to larger regional firms that hire maybe 1-2 new associates from a graduating class. It's probably harder to land a true midlaw job than it is to get hired at a big firm.

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:38 pm

ehwhitemamba wrote:

Obviously no applicant is ever a "lock" but I'd like to hear some opinions on this. The automatic scholarship that comes with Vandy's ED seems like a great deal; the tuition cost would be about 17k/year. I like their job outcomes and geography.

The LSD-type websites are giving me mixed signals so I'd appreciate some anecdotal insight/guidance on if I'm short or over-selling myself. I'm pretty dead-set on pulling the trigger but I'm not sure about how wide I want to cast my application net. Biglaw is my goal but midlaw would be fine especially with the relatively modest amount of debt Vandy would have me take on.

My question boils down to whether it's worth my time/money to, in addition to Vandy ED, blanket the t14 plus safety schools or just pick a couple t14s and safties. Thanks
Bro the undergrads at an SEC school!!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ehwhitemamba

New

Post by ehwhitemamba » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:34 am

johndooley wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:38 pm
ehwhitemamba wrote:

I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a factor haha. From talking to current students the culture seems to be, for prestigious law school standards, somewhat "work hard, play hard" (I know ppl on this forum will roll their eyes) and more collaborative/friendly than competitive. And the reduction in class size that @taterzz mentioned isn't nothing.

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:49 am

ehwhitemamba wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:34 am
johndooley wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:38 pm
ehwhitemamba wrote:

I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a factor haha. From talking to current students the culture seems to be, for prestigious law school standards, somewhat "work hard, play hard" (I know ppl on this forum will roll their eyes) and more collaborative/friendly than competitive. And the reduction in class size that @taterzz mentioned isn't nothing.
I totally get it. Went to law school in Jacksonville. Was amazing, after 1L tons of time for boating and the beach and social life (with enough studying to stay grounded). Can’t imagine going to law school in an overly competitive environment in the cold and without sports.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”