Infilaw Alumnus: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly AMA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
johndooley

Bronze

Infilaw Alumnus: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly AMA

Post by johndooley » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:39 pm

Hi y’all,

Long time lurker, I wanted to give one more data point for applicants to law school so they can make an informed decision. I went to an Infilaw law school a over a decade ago. I have a successful practice in central Florida that now nets a smidgen over seven figures per year mostly on contingency cases. I did work for a 10-20 attorney firm for five years after graduation until I left with another associate who is now my partner (we have two paralegals and an associate from my alma mater). I am licensed in three states.

The Good: students at these schools are incredibly well-balanced. They study hard, are very social, and there is a cooperative environment. There are no horror stories of students ripping out casebook pages before exams or hiding outlines. The campus was beautiful and having a decent city nearby helped professionally. I felt supported by my school. The professors I keep in touch with because they had such an impact, and I went for nearly free due to the school’s generosity.

The Bad: hard to sugar coat it, not everyone will get a job at a law firm or pass the bar (I guess this is true most places, just a difference in degrees). This naturally makes students stressed come 3L spring. The school doesn’t hide this though. You know from day one that this isn’t a great hiring market (it was around ‘08) and have to make a plan to succeed. Ultimately it is on you. It’s not enjoyable to see others not fulfill their dreams but you have to keep your nose down while helping when you can.

The Ugly: although it is good students get along and socialize, this can sometimes be a negative. A lot of students go out four or five nights a week, a lot were into substance abuse, and because we were in warm weather by the ocean a lot skipped classes to go to the beach or go boating or go on the public golf courses. I was not too much of a partier but joined probably once a week.

Tl:dr even if Infilaw doesn’t operate any schools now, there are others very much like it. You can consider them with a healthy dose of caution, but don’t rule them out. Just know what you’re getting into. Please feel free to ask me anything or send me a message. Happy to help find the perfect law school.

KEbro93

New

Re: Infilaw Alumnus: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly AMA

Post by KEbro93 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:21 pm

John Dooley/JohnnyBGoode92 here. Glad I got the opportunity to catch up with some of you several years after Cooley's second most prestigious alum was booted from the forum. Some of the old-timers are still here, although most are missed. TLS may have a fraction of the traffic it used to but some of you are still down to play ball. Taking questions if the mods will allow it for a week. Cheers.

- Your favorite poster

Some updates on the Jacksonville legal scene:
http://outsidethelawschoolscam.blogspot ... oilet.html

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”