Should I try to graduate early... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thelogan

New

Should I try to graduate early...

Post by thelogan » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:09 pm

So I am going to be a freshman in college starting in the fall. My goal is to eventually go to a top 14 law school or UT (I am from Texas). However, the conundrum is that I did an early college program at a community college so I am starting with an associates and 61 college credits. I already registered for classes and I am starting in upper division classes so I am on track to graduate in 2 years, but I was wondering if doing so would hurt my chances at getting into top law schools or if the community college credits would look bad to law schools (for reference I had a 4.0 at the community college and was part of the honors college at it and phi thetta kappa). I have a full ride at the four year college so I am able to stay for up to four years at no additional cost. What would y'all recommend? Thanks.

talons2250

Bronze

Re: Should I try to graduate early...

Post by talons2250 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:26 pm

It probably won't matter if you graduate early. If your UGPA and LSAT score are high enough and the other aspects of your application aren't glaringly deficient, you should get into a T14 school or UT. If you wanted to absolutely maximize your chances as much as possible, then I suppose you could stay for the four years and excel in as many rigorous classes in the four-year school as possible. But it's not really necessary. I wouldn't only stay for the full four years because you think you won't get into a good law school without doing so.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:14 pm

Many candidates under 22 have underperformed their LSAT/GPA numbers historically. If you do decide to graduate early, you should plan to work for a couple years before starting law school. It will help you both in admissions and when trying to get a job after law school (and make your law school experience much more pleasant).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:18 am

You should stop thinking about law school. It is way, way too early for you to be making plans, and you shouldn't craft your entire life around applying to graduate school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”