Fired from legal assistant job Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
helloparanzem

New

Fired from legal assistant job

Post by helloparanzem » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:36 pm

I am begging for advise. I have never been this stressed in my life.

I have 2 years of partially paid experience w an organization. Then 2 years of paid experience with a law firm. Both places will give good reference.

After these jobs and after undergrad, I took a job with another law firm for less than 4 months. I was fired for acting insubordinately, being rude to the boss/supervisor, and messing up filing of a certain court form. All brought to my attention on last day without warning.

Since, Ive begun working for a really really really good law firm, one of the most prestigious.

Im applying to t14-t30 law schools. Im really worried this will come back and bite me either in law school admissions or bar character and fitness.

Please help me. Should i disclose to law schools? If so, howV

nixy

Gold

Re: Fired from legal assistant job

Post by nixy » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:05 pm

So, when you apply to law schools, they almost universally ask you to list all your past employment, and if you were fired from a job, why you were fired. You will answer honestly and not worry about it. It's not a C&F issue to get fired by a crappy boss, as long as you weren't fired for a reason that raises C&F concerns on its own - like embezzling funds, sharing a client's confidential information, or sleeping with a client. Being rude to a boss and screwing up a filing (as an assistant) aren't C&F issues. And if you otherwise have a track record of success in jobs - which you do - it will just be a brief blip.

To be clear, you will need to disclose whatever the application asks you to disclose, because not disclosing will be way worse in the long run. But if this is your worst problem, you'll be absolutely fine. People get fired from jobs all the time and go on to get into law school and pass the bar. C&F is concerned about specific ethics issues, not with whether you've succeeded at everything you've ever tried in life.

helloparanzem

New

Post by helloparanzem » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:09 pm

Thank you so much. I cant describe how much i appreciate your response.

I really dont want my future to be determined by my conduct and behavior from when i was 22.

I work so hard but i think that will always follow me.

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:24 pm

helloparanzem wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:36 pm
I am begging for advise. I have never been this stressed in my life.

I have 2 years of partially paid experience w an organization. Then 2 years of paid experience with a law firm. Both places will give good reference.

After these jobs and after undergrad, I took a job with another law firm for less than 4 months. I was fired for acting insubordinately, being rude to the boss/supervisor, and messing up filing of a certain court form. All brought to my attention on last day without warning.

Since, Ive begun working for a really really really good law firm, one of the most prestigious.

Im applying to t14-t30 law schools. Im really worried this will come back and bite me either in law school admissions or bar character and fitness.

Please help me. Should i disclose to law schools? If so, howV
You’re overthinking it. It’s no problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”