Best Undergrad for YSH Admissions? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Racentour

New

Best Undergrad for YSH Admissions?

Post by Racentour » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:46 pm

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I have recently graduated from my two-year college, and was wondering what the best course of action would be to increase my chances at YSH.

From years of reading these tls threads I have concluded that the two types of diversity most sought after by law schools are: racial and geographic.

That being said, I once read on here that going to an hbcu will further augment my already significant hook (AA male), and I would like to know whether I should go that route, or attend my state flagship in the Midwest.

I apologize in advance for any affirmative action debate (argument?) that may arise from this post.

stupididiot

New

Re: Best Undergrad for YSH Admissions?

Post by stupididiot » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:41 am

Racentour wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:46 pm
Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I have recently graduated from my two-year college, and was wondering what the best course of action would be to increase my chances at YSH.

From years of reading these tls threads I have concluded that the two types of diversity most sought after by law schools are: racial and geographic.

That being said, I once read on here that going to an hbcu will further augment my already significant hook (AA male), and I would like to know whether I should go that route, or attend my state flagship in the Midwest.

I apologize in advance for any affirmative action debate (argument?) that may arise from this post.
pretty sure the consensus is that it will make no meaningful difference, and certainly not meaningful enough to outweigh other factors in your determination. HBCU is vastly different university experience than any midwest state flagship. you should decide based on cost, location, which one you think gives you a better shot at success, how comfortable you would be in atmosphere of an HBCU vs. a midwest flagship, etc.

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:08 pm

Racentour wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:46 pm

It's conceivable that, all else equal, an HBCU applicant would be more appealing than a state flagship applicant because the top schools want a diversity of undergraduate institutions and HBCUs have cachet in that regard. But any advantage that would bring would be so miniscule that it shouldn't affect your decision-making with respect to which school to attend.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:38 pm

Go the the school which best serves you in everything else. Definitely don’t pay more to go to one because it might give you an edge at HYS. Neither of those schools will give such a definitive edge that it’s worth picking between them for that reason.

Or put another way, go to the one you’d wish you went to if you decide not to go to law school after all.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:59 pm

Go to the undergraduate school that will give you the biggest GPA. So if you think you will be able to focus better at an HBCU, then go there. If you think you would have better academic success at a Midwest flagship, then go there. It mostly comes down to GPA and LSAT. Good luck.

Racentour

New

Post by Racentour » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:39 pm

Thank you all for your insightful responses. So the consensus seems to be that neither would have too much of an effect in either direction.

Fortunately, I have plenty of time to decide which environment best suits my interests, as I will be working as a paralegal for a year prior to applying to uni.

Again thank you all for your time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”