Need advice on transfer opportunities Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Antd2487

New

Need advice on transfer opportunities

Post by Antd2487 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:49 pm

Hey everybody, I found out today I got a 168 on my March 2022 LSAT which is 4 points below what I wanted (172). It was only the first time I took the LSAT but I don't really have time or the energy to go for it again considering my heavy work schedule and personal situation. I was planning on going to Rutgers University my first year anyway because I live 5 minutes from the campus and then transferring after year #1. Has anyone in here had experienece transferrring after year #1 into a top 10 school? If I had straight A's all thorught year #1 with my 168 LSAT, could it put me into possibly getting into one of the Ivy league schools/top 10?

Also, if there's anyone you can refer me to that might know the transfer process well, I'd appreciate that.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct forum. The Transfers forum is only for 1Ls with at least one semester of grades.

cavalier1138

Re: Need advice on transfer opportunities

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:54 pm

This is a horrible plan. Depending on your GPA, a 168 shouldn't lock you out of the T13 (the Ivy distinction is meaningless for law school). And there are a lot of schools between Rutgers and the T13. So what is your GPA, and what are your career goals?

But regardless, you cannot plan on transferring because you cannot predict how you will perform in 1L. Don't matriculate to a school if you wouldn't be happy graduating from there.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:41 pm

Retaking the LSAT for a 171-172 (not outside the margin of error of your 168) is going to be dramatically easier than doing well enough at Rutgers to transfer. If you want to attend a top school then that should be your focus. If that means waiting another year to apply, so be it.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:54 pm
But regardless, you cannot plan on transferring because you cannot predict how you will perform in 1L. Don't matriculate to a school of you wouldn't be happy graduating from there.
Just to expand on this point: you can't predict how well you will perform in 1L because you will be graded on a curve, so your grades will not be determined by how well you did, but by how well you did *compared to your peers.* You could get 95% of the available points on an exam, but if 1/3 of your class gets 96% or more, you'll end up with a B.

So it's not insane to be open to the idea of transferring if you do really well, but you do have to plan for a future where you can't transfer.

(Your LSAT won't matter really for transferring anyway. The point of the LSAT is to determine your aptitude for success in law school classes. If you apply to transfer after your first year, schools don't need a proxy for success in law school classes; they can just look at your grades.)

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:15 pm

If you have a very high undergraduate GPA (like, 3.9 or higher), then you have a decent shot at getting in a T14 school with your 168. 168 is within the middle 50th LSAT percentile for Penn, UVA, Berkeley, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern, and Georgetown: https://7sage.com/top-law-school-admissions/.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”