Law School Over 40? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PerfectlyImperfect

New

Job Prospects for New Grad Over 40?

Post by PerfectlyImperfect » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:53 pm

I returned to college and completed my undergrad degree as an adult (with two children). I majored in Criminal Justice with plans to attend law school. Ultimately, I decided it wasn't the right time with my children being so small, so I became a teacher instead. Now that the kids are older, I can't get the idea of law school out of my mind. There's a part time evening program nearby (nothing prestigious; very affordable) and I'm seriously considering it. My only hesitation is, assuming I survive the LSAT (again) and law school, what is the employment outlook for a new grad in their late 40s? I'm not looking to get rich and a big law job with insane billable hours probably isn't for me. Thoughts?

PerfectlyImperfect

New

Law School Over 40?

Post by PerfectlyImperfect » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:48 pm

I almost went to law school a little over 10 years ago, but decided against it. Now, the kids are older (as am I) and, after teaching for 10 years, law school is nagging at me again. Anyone out there have advice for a 40-something considering part-time/evening law school?

(I've posted in another forum inquiring about post law school job prospects, but wanted to post here as well for information specific to the law school experience.)

nixy

Gold

Re: Job Prospects for New Grad Over 40?

Post by nixy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:51 pm

Probably about the same outlook for any new law grad, especially if you’re not aiming for biglaw. (There is a contingent of biglaw folks who think older grads will struggle with the demands of biglaw.) It’ll depend on where you attend and what you want to do. Ideally you can look for something that builds off the experience that you have (and that K-JDs don’t). If you pivoted to education law of some kind, for instance, your teaching career would probably be a plus.

The other thing is if you went back to college as an adult, your age won’t be that evident from your resume, so most people won’t even realize.

cavalier1138

Re: Law School Over 40?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:20 pm

Merged your topics because the Legal Employment forum isn't for 0L questions and because the questions you're asking are all related. Whether law school is a good idea for you depends entirely on what you want to do with your JD. And whether an evening program is a good idea for you is going to depend on your current job, etc.

So aside from "not biglaw," what are your career goals? And what school(s) are you considering? Your employment prospects are heavily influenced by that.

PerfectlyImperfect

New

Post by PerfectlyImperfect » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:05 pm

So aside from "not biglaw," what are your career goals? And what school(s) are you considering? Your employment prospects are heavily influenced by that.
[/quote]

The simple answer is that I'm uncertain. Prior to teaching, I worked as a legal assistant in an insurance defense firm. That's definitely not me. Originally, I wanted to be a prosecutor, but I make more as a teacher right now that starting prosecutor pay. It's not all about the money though. My husband make a good living and I'm not going to be going into insurmountable debt by attending law school. Just wondering if anyone else out there can share their experiences as "elder" law student or entry level attorney.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:09 pm

PerfectlyImperfect wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:05 pm
The simple answer is that I'm uncertain. Prior to teaching, I worked as a legal assistant in an insurance defense firm. That's definitely not me. Originally, I wanted to be a prosecutor, but I make more as a teacher right now that starting prosecutor pay. It's not all about the money though. My husband make a good living and I'm not going to be going into insurmountable debt by attending law school. Just wondering if anyone else out there can share their experiences as "elder" law student or entry level attorney.
If you don't want biglaw, and aren't thrilled about the pay prosecutors get, then there aren't a whole lot of legal jobs left for you to be interested in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”