Chicago ($) vs NYU ($$) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
guitarguy17

New

Chicago ($) vs NYU ($$)

Post by guitarguy17 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:53 pm

Hi All,

Chicago (apprx 25) vs NYU (apprx 100). What are the odds Chicago increases/ matches the offer? Should I email or will they provide a reconsideration form?

I am very grateful for my outcomes so far, but I am scared of paying so much to attend Chicago (my dream school for 7 years). I am interested in the intellectual culture and Law Economics bend to the curriculum, but I am not sure how negotiations work. I received 3-4 times more money from NYU, depending on how the offer letter is read. Unfortunately, I am about the worst cultural fit possible for NYU.

Thank you so much! This is a nerve racking experience, and your help is really appreciated.

talons2250

Bronze

Re: Chicago ($) vs NYU ($$)

Post by talons2250 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:19 pm

You should call the Chicago Admissions Office and explain that you would like to attempt to negotiate using another scholarship offer. Then they will tell you how to do so. I would say that you have a good chance of them increasing the offer, although they may not match or exceed the $100K that NYU is offering.

Given your statement about your preferences, I don't think you should choose NYU over Chicago, even with the big discrepancy in scholarships that currently exists. Why are you scared of paying so much to attend Chicago? Big Law is always on the table to repay the loans (very easy to secure from Chicago), and if you go into government, public interest, or even academia I believe that LRAP will cover you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”