OCI process on school decision Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BasedCii

New

OCI process on school decision

Post by BasedCii » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:23 pm

I was listening to the Law School Toolbox Podcast, and the host was talking about the importance of understanding the OCI process of a particular school before enrolling. To what extent does a school's specific OCI process impact one's ability to land a SA?

I was admitted to Texas Law with a large scholarship (COA <65k) and am planning on heavily targeting Dallas during OCI. Does anyone have insight into UT's OCI process?

Rule23andMe

New

Re: OCI process on school decision

Post by Rule23andMe » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:01 am

Had never heard this advice and it seems a bit... not that helpful when you can just focus on actual job outcomes from the schools you're considering (isn't that the point of OCI anyway?).
Not even sure what factors would be all that helpful in differentiating different schools' processes besides which firms attend, which you probably won't be able to figure out in detail beforehand + again can just focus on outcomes (What % of its grads get BL jobs? Where do they go? etc.).
Anyway can't go wrong with UT for targeting Dallas!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:26 pm

Agree that this is odd advice outside of transfer admissions. Can you explain why the podcast said to look at OCI processes? Or did they say what kind of OCI processes would be red flags?

BasedCii

New

Post by BasedCii » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:19 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:26 pm
Agree that this is odd advice outside of transfer admissions. Can you explain why the podcast said to look at OCI processes? Or did they say what kind of OCI processes would be red flags?
They actually said something to the effect of you need to know your specific school's process because they can differ among schools. Scratch the part about "before you enroll." That's what my obsessed brain heard as I was passively listening to the podcast last night.

They were describing how some schools have a lottery system, where firms do not get the direct pick of applicants. The flipside would be schools that let firms pick and choose candidates. I think my question still stands, however. Is one strategy more advantageous to applicants? (advantageous can include even slight benefits such as less anxiety-inducing, which I'm guessing the random assignment strategy is.) I guess this is all baked into the ABA employment data anyways. Btw, still curious if UT blindly assigns or lets firms choose students.

BasedCii

New

Post by BasedCii » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:22 pm

Rule23andMe wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:01 am
Had never heard this advice and it seems a bit... not that helpful when you can just focus on actual job outcomes from the schools you're considering (isn't that the point of OCI anyway?).
Not even sure what factors would be all that helpful in differentiating different schools' processes besides which firms attend, which you probably won't be able to figure out in detail beforehand + again can just focus on outcomes (What % of its grads get BL jobs? Where do they go? etc.).
Anyway can't go wrong with UT for targeting Dallas!
Yeah, you're right. I corrected my post above. Also, UT's CSO sent me a list of employers who attend OCI and a list of employers who have frequently hired from UT over the last three years. The list of firms is quite impressive. Hopefully this market can last 12-24 more months...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”