Dropped out of law school after fall 1L. Need advice! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mermaidcat

New

Dropped out of law school after fall 1L. Need advice!

Post by mermaidcat » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:30 pm

Hi everyone. So, I rushed the whole law school application process and ended up going to a law school that I didn't like. I did poorly after the fall semester and ended up dropping out. I am thinking of just starting over completely and re-applying. My undergrad GPA is a 3.7+ and my LSAT was a 157. I am also a URM with some prior legal work experience (and internships). If I decide to re-apply, I am going to re-take the LSAT and aim for a higher score (hopefully mid-160s).

Has anyone had this experience before and succeeded in re-applying? I feel like I'm at a total loss.

thellamamama

New

Re: Dropped out of law school after fall 1L. Need advice!

Post by thellamamama » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:48 pm

It's probably better to cut your losses. If it is any consolation, you could read the book Don’t Go To Law School (Unless): A Law Professor’s Inside Guide to Maximizing Opportunity and Minimizing Risk and feel a bit better.

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:33 am

I don’t have experience with this, but I think the general advice is obvious: (1) do your best to ace the LSAT, and (2) craft a compelling story regarding your prior experience in law school and why things are different now.

Regarding (2), it may be worthwhile to consult an admissions counseling service (e.g., Spivey Consulting) if you can afford it.

mermaidcat

New

Post by mermaidcat » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:32 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:33 am
I don’t have experience with this, but I think the general advice is obvious: (1) do your best to ace the LSAT, and (2) craft a compelling story regarding your prior experience in law school and why things are different now.

Regarding (2), it may be worthwhile to consult an admissions counseling service (e.g., Spivey Consulting) if you can afford it.
Thank you! That's exactly what I was thinking.

ESQ92

New

Post by ESQ92 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:53 pm

I think you need to answer why you wanted to go to law school in the first place, why you didn't like your law school, and why you did poorly on the exams, before jumping back in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”