Canadian surprised with high LSAT. Chances at HYS? [3.91/175] Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dassem Ultor

New

Canadian surprised with high LSAT. Chances at HYS? [3.91/175]

Post by Dassem Ultor » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:58 pm

I've been looking at Canadian schools for next cycle admissions but have overperformed my PTs and hit a 175 on my first LSAT. So I feel like my options have expanded and I'm looking for some feedback. My last two years are 3.93, best 3 are 3.94. Not sure if those are relevant in the US like in Canada.

- 5 years work experience, but nothing noteworthy. Administrative / managerial roles in small companies no ones ever heard of

- No ECs, volunteering etc.

- Made no effort to have a relationship with my professors during undergrad. I doubt any of them remembers me. Not sure what kind of reference I can get, haven't reached out.

Given this profile, do I have a realistic shot at HYS? I have done 0 research into American admissions and was hoping someone could give me a brief primer / chance prediction.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Canadian surprised with high LSAT. Chances at HYS? [3.91/175]

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:48 pm

Dassem Ultor wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:58 pm
I've been looking at Canadian schools for next cycle admissions but have overperformed my PTs and hit a 175 on my first LSAT. So I feel like my options have expanded and I'm looking for some feedback. My last two years are 3.93, best 3 are 3.94. Not sure if those are relevant in the US like in Canada.

- 5 years work experience, but nothing noteworthy. Administrative / managerial roles in small companies no ones ever heard of

- No ECs, volunteering etc.

- Made no effort to have a relationship with my professors during undergrad. I doubt any of them remembers me. Not sure what kind of reference I can get, haven't reached out.

Given this profile, do I have a realistic shot at HYS? I have done 0 research into American admissions and was hoping someone could give me a brief primer / chance prediction.
it's impossible to tell tbh. HYS are tough schools to get into, regardless of score. I'd say they are the only ones I would consider if I were you. I think you have a shot at H. Doesn't hurt to apply to the 3 of them and then Canadian schools.

Access

New

Post by Access » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:14 pm

Do scholarships matter to you? HYS don't do merits scholarships. Price tag of a US school is higher than CAN but with your stats you should be able to get a full scholarship from CCN, definitely from a T13. You should consider this option instead and apply more broadly imo.

Saami

New

Post by Saami » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:51 am

Access wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:14 pm
Do scholarships matter to you? HYS don't do merits scholarships. Price tag of a US school is higher than CAN but with your stats you should be able to get a full scholarship from CCN, definitely from a T13. You should consider this option instead and apply more broadly imo.
I echo this. I was 3.81/176 and got the Hamilton at Columbia, so you have a shot, OP. Though, it's probably too late to apply and be in the running this cycle.

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:22 pm

Feel free to DM me for more details, but I just wanted to note how much more financial opportunity there is practicing your first few years in the US vs Canada. Especially in the post-covid era, you can spend weeks working remotely in Canada if being home for relationships is important.

You've undoubtedly seen information on this topic on lawstudents.ca which is mostly inaccurate and/or biased in favor of Canada. You're very likely to receive full rides across the T14 and therefore will certainly have your pick of big law firms in OCI.

Please consider the US as a serious option. Happy to discuss further in dms.

Dassem Ultor

New

Post by Dassem Ultor » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:32 pm

Access wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:14 pm
They do, but I'm from a low income background and Harvard's needs-based financial aid calculator is showing a very generous number. I'm not sure how reliable it is but it doesn't sound like HYS would be cost prohibitive for me if I managed to get in if so.
Saami wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:51 am
I echo this. I was 3.81/176 and got the Hamilton at Columbia, so you have a shot, OP. Though, it's probably too late to apply and be in the running this cycle.
Fwiw, my GPA is actually 4.13 on the American scale. Didn't realize it was different when I posted the thread.

Right on it being too late, I'll be applying next cycle!
joefresh wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:22 pm
Feel free to DM me for more details, but I just wanted to note how much more financial opportunity there is practicing your first few years in the US vs Canada. Especially in the post-covid era, you can spend weeks working remotely in Canada if being home for relationships is important.

You've undoubtedly seen information on this topic on lawstudents.ca which is mostly inaccurate and/or biased in favor of Canada. You're very likely to receive full rides across the T14 and therefore will certainly have your pick of big law firms in OCI.

Please consider the US as a serious option. Happy to discuss further in dms.
Thanks for the offer. Will do!

That was where I first reached out (took weeks for my post to be approved here?). The folk on that forum were very helpful but it's true that many counseled remaining in Canada.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”