She REALLY Said This...(Religious, LGBTQ+) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gotsomenerve

New

She REALLY Said This...(Religious, LGBTQ+)

Post by gotsomenerve » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to schools tonight (yey!). I writing an optional cover letter for LEOP (Leg. Ed. Oppor. Prog.) questions. The cover letter gives me a chance to "identify and describe in detail the challenges and obstacles that you have faced...cultural, economic, educational, familial, geographic, linguistic, or social in nature. Include specific information on what you have done to meet and/or overcome these challenges..."

All the Q's were about how I have a learning disability and all the stuff related to that.

I would like to write this about how I couldn't easier be my queer-self in St. George, Utah. (I have nothing against church members of this particular faith that I will NOT mention). I did come out to a few people and I remember a classmate said that I "will not get into heaven" and another guy said "I do not believe in this." I really should have let it go, but it stuck with me. I was depressed and trying to survive in this toxic environment. (I dropped out of undergrad with a 1.6 gpa).

SO! Should I write it and mention the fact I (queer as the sun) did not fit into this community because I felt threatened and unsupportive?

cavalier1138

Re: She REALLY Said This...(Religious, LGBTQ+)

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:40 am

There's only one "LEOP" I can find, so I took a glance at what UC Hastings actually wants from applicants on their site.

In short, yes. The experience you mentioned is exactly the sort of thing they want to know about. And I wouldn't bother being circumspect; everyone understands that if you faced bigotry in St. George, Utah, it would have been related to LDS beliefs.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”