First Generation Professional if Parent Has DC? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
halfelfhalfbot

New

First Generation Professional if Parent Has DC?

Post by halfelfhalfbot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Neither of my parents ever earned an undergraduate degree. However, one parent earned a Doctor of Chiropractic (DC) degree. Does anybody know if I qualify as a first-generation professional? Do I even qualify as a first-generation college graduate?

Also, they never used the degree to actually open a chiropractic practice (though I suspect that's not relevant).

Thanks!

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: First Generation Professional if Parent Has DC?

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:15 pm

halfelfhalfbot wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 pm
Neither of my parents ever earned an undergraduate degree. However, one parent earned a Doctor of Chiropractic (DC) degree. Does anybody know if I qualify as a first-generation professional? Do I even qualify as a first-generation college graduate?

Also, they never used the degree to actually open a chiropractic practice (though I suspect that's not relevant).

Thanks!

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... ifications
Idk if your parent went through this or not- but it seems like at least the equivalent of some formal education?
One of my uncles never got his BA but he got an MD, I don't think his kids consider themselves first gens.
No idea, I'd lean towards no unless you grew up working class or something and that "DC" degree is really just a 9 month cert training program or something. But honestly, not sure- it is probs up to your discretion; so just be honest with yourself either way.
I myself am not a first gen professional, but am the first to go to law school. Best of luck.

halfelfhalfbot

New

Post by halfelfhalfbot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:24 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:15 pm
halfelfhalfbot wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Thanks!

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... ifications
Idk if your parent went through this or not- but it seems like at least the equivalent of some formal education?
One of my uncles never got his BA but he got an MD, I don't think his kids consider themselves first gens.
No idea, I'd lean towards no unless you grew up working class or something and that "DC" degree is really just a 9 month cert training program or something. But honestly, not sure- it is probs up to your discretion; so just be honest with yourself either way.
I myself am not a first gen professional, but am the first to go to law school. Best of luck.
Ok got it.

Thanks so much! Really appreciate it.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:14 pm

Yeah, all due respect to your parent, but chiropractors aren't "professionals" in this sense. And they didn't go to college because chiropractic degrees aren't college degrees. I'd say you're good to claim first-time status for both.

noice

New

Post by noice » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:44 am

"professional" means professional degree, post-college (MD, JD, DDS, maybe some PhDs)

if they have a "College degree" of any type (associate, bachelor, master, PhD), you are not first gen college. obviously, all higher degrees require completion of a lower degree.

If all they have is the "doctor" (LMAO) of chiropractic medicine, may as well have a doctorate in HVAC repair.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”