Chance Me - SMU Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
4.0GPA159LSAT

New

Chance Me - SMU

Post by 4.0GPA159LSAT » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi!

I submitted my applications to SMU, Texas A&M, and Washington University St. Louis last week. I have a 159 LSAT and a 4.0GPA.

I know my LSAT is low but it is my dream to attend SMU Law. What do you think my chances are for SMU Law or any of the other schools I applied to. I am just stressing out and appreciate all of the information I can get!

cavalier1138

Re: Chance Me - SMU

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:31 pm

Your chances of getting admitted to SMU are probably good with that GPA. You're wasting a great GPA with that LSAT, though. So why is your dream to attend SMU?

Your school list is short, but also odd (why Wash U?), so I'm curious about what you intend to do with your degree.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:24 pm

You want to practice in Dallas? I think you'll get into A&M and SMU, probs with a small scholly (maybe?). What're your goals in general- and agreed with Cav, why WashU and why not UT?

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:31 pm

Agree with the others. Try to bump your LSAT up a few points if that is possible and you have a good shot at UT or a T14 (may need more than a "few" points, but it's doable).

If your goal is Dallas Biglaw, SMU doesn't place as well as it did ten years ago. Hiring is a little idiosyncratic right now, but you would likely need to be in the top 20%-top 25% to be to feel safe and competitive coming from SMU.

I would avoid A&M. Many Dallas firms still refuse to hire from A&M, and the ones that do tend to only pick off the cream of the crop law review people.

UT is a much safer bet. Pretty much any T14 will also get you back to Dallas (some have stronger ties than others: ex. UVA is particularly well represented), as would Vanderbilt.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:49 am

4.0GPA159LSAT wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:33 pm
Hi!

I submitted my applications to SMU, Texas A&M, and Washington University St. Louis last week. I have a 159 LSAT and a 4.0GPA.

I know my LSAT is low but it is my dream to attend SMU Law. What do you think my chances are for SMU Law or any of the other schools I applied to. I am just stressing out and appreciate all of the information I can get!
If your dream is to attend SMU law, it is likely to become reality. However, the real question is whether or not your dream is a bit shortsighted.

Have you considered the cost of attending law school and the subsequent likelihood of attaining your dream job after law school ? If so, and if attending SMU is still the dream, then you are well on your way to achieving those goals.

RonMexico5858

New

Post by RonMexico5858 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:13 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:31 pm
Agree with the others. Try to bump your LSAT up a few points if that is possible and you have a good shot at UT or a T14 (may need more than a "few" points, but it's doable).

If your goal is Dallas Biglaw, SMU doesn't place as well as it did ten years ago. Hiring is a little idiosyncratic right now, but you would likely need to be in the top 20%-top 25% to be to feel safe and competitive coming from SMU.

I would avoid A&M. Many Dallas firms still refuse to hire from A&M, and the ones that do tend to only pick off the cream of the crop law review people.

UT is a much safer bet. Pretty much any T14 will also get you back to Dallas (some have stronger ties than others: ex. UVA is particularly well represented), as would Vanderbilt.
Is this true about SMU? I applied there as well, and this is a bit concerning.

Agreed on A&M. I think that it will probably be great in ten or fifteen years given the A&M label, alumni from A&M undergrad, and the amount of $ that A&M has, but I wouldn't touch it right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”