Chance me at Michigan, 173- automobile engineer, NURM, international undergrad - superior, 42 years old Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gglsat

New

Chance me at Michigan, 173- automobile engineer, NURM, international undergrad - superior, 42 years old

Post by gglsat » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:54 am

Hi,

I was wondering if I do have a shot at Michigan with some scholarship. I was initially thinking of going to Wayne state part time, but given that my LSAT is above Michigan average, lot of people are telling me that I have a shot at Michigan.

My worry about Michigan, is sticker is crippling. 180k instate is kind of a huge amount. So what are my chances of getting some money at Michigan?

I initially took LSAT last year Oct and got a 156. This time I got a tutor and a got a 173 in Aug 2020. FWIW, I do work in engine development and am listed as an inventor on a 3-4 granted patents. I also have a Masters in Mech engineering from Michigan tech with a 3.75 GPA. Just to reintegrate, my Undergrad is rated as a superior, even though I was only an average student.

Let me know your thoughts.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Chance me at Michigan, 173- automobile engineer, NURM, international undergrad - superior, 42 years old

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:58 am

Yeah, you've got a shot. No idea if you'll get a scholly, but you should get in.
What are your goals? If you want to just be an attorney in Mich and do small firm work or ADA type stuff, going to MSU for free ain't a bad gig.
But def hold out and see what U of M offers you, you may indeed get a good scholarship from them.

gglsat

New

Re: Chance me at Michigan, 173- automobile engineer, NURM, international undergrad - superior, 42 years old

Post by gglsat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:28 pm

Just to close the loop on this, was admitted to Michigan with a pretty decent scholarship.

Was admitted to Wayne state, part time , on a full tuition waiver.

I'm leaning towards Michigan, even though I will not have a pay slip for 3 years. Hoping that the wife's salary is enough for the family.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:56 pm

Michigan is probably the right choice. I'd inquire about financial-aid adjustments and/or daycare services.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:45 pm

gglsat wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:28 pm
Just to close the loop on this, was admitted to Michigan with a pretty decent scholarship.

Was admitted to Wayne state, part time , on a full tuition waiver.

I'm leaning towards Michigan, even though I will not have a pay slip for 3 years. Hoping that the wife's salary is enough for the family.
UM would be the way to go if you were 25 and were gonna practice BigLaw in NYC/CHI etc, but not sure what the goal is? what do you intend to do with your JD?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”