Advice on transferring Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
streiman

New

Advice on transferring

Post by streiman » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:50 pm

Hello! I am currently applying to schools & curious about how transfers go in law school. I know med school you can’t really transfer but college it doesn’t matter at all so just wondering the optics on it. I was thinking about going to a school ranked in the 40’s and hopefully doing well enough to transfer to T14. Does that look bad? If I did transfer should I do it in the spring or the next fall? Please tell me pros and cons about it!
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct forum. The Transfers forum is only for 1Ls with at least one semester of grades.

Pennoyer v. Meh

Bronze

Re: Advice on transferring

Post by Pennoyer v. Meh » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:29 pm

Fellow transfer here (went from a T60 to CCN): Don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from. You can't count on transferring. It only happens after 1L, so you need to ace your 1L year, which is never guaranteed. It doesn't "look bad", but it may not be worth it depending on where your 1L school is and where you're accepted to transfer. Basically, pick your 1L school assuming you won't be able to transfer.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Advice on transferring

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:20 am

Agreed fully with OP's advice. Most folks can't xfer and most people aren't top of their class. Plan to graduate from whatever school you are at. I planned on a similar thing but did not end up high enough in my class to xfer to a T14. I'm happy with how things ended up (went to a regional school in the area I wanted to practice on close to a full scholly and have a great job now), but just don't make a plan like this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”