Should I apply to T14 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
streiman

New

Should I apply to T14

Post by streiman » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:15 pm

right now i have 163 and 3.73 gpa. i
may or may not retake the lsat - i have taken it three times and am very burnt out. i’m thinking about applying to some schools right now (T20-40), should i retake the lsat and apply to t14 in november?

i’m really hesitant about retaking because truthfully i’m nervous i won’t study enough to get a 170+

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Should I apply to T14

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:17 pm

I mean, you can apply, but I don't think you'll be competitive for any T14s. That said, I had similar numbers to you and was waitlisted at a couple- however, I withdrew as my goals didn't align with the debt load (and frankly, I probs wouldn't have gotten off the waitlist anyways).
Might as well take your shot though and folks with worse stats have gotten in before.
Best of luck.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Should I apply to T14

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:59 pm

Unless you are a URM or have another hook, your lsat score is too low for a T-14 law school (unless Georgetown's part-time program has a significantly lower median LSAT than the full-time program).

The lowest median LSAT scores for the T-14 law schools in 2020 were 168 for Georgetown & UC-Berkeley. An LSAT score of 163 is almost certainly in the bottom 25% for these schools.

Law schools with a median LSAT score of 163 for 2020 (2021 medians are probably a point higher) are:

UNC,Wisconsin,UC-Davis,Wash & Lee,Wm. & Mary, and the University of Arizona.

Unless you plan on paying full sticker price for law school, you need to consider applying to law schools where your LSAT score is above median for that school.

Consider applying to Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State, Indiana, Utah, Univ. of Washington, Pepperdine, Fla. State, UC-Hastings, Maryland, SMU, Temple, Baylor, Villanova,Cardozo, UConn, Penn State, Tulane, Houston,UNLV, Tennessee, Oklahoma,Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, Denver, Loyola-Chicago, American, Loyola-Marymount, or Oregon if you want a chance at scholarship money & if you want to practice in any of those georaphic areas.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”