Accepted off waitlist while in orientation... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
meeps23

New

Accepted off waitlist while in orientation...

Post by meeps23 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:04 am

Currently at a T80 in with 85% scholarship and BL chances of 15-20%. Was accepted off the waitlist at a T30 with BL chances of 25-30% but at sticker price. I feel like I could perform better at a lower ranked school without the debt looming over my head but I also don't want to close any doors by rejecting the T30. Not sure if it is worth it... any advice?

nealric

Re: Accepted off waitlist while in orientation...

Post by nealric » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:45 pm

I wouldn't do full sticker at a T30. Most likely outcome is you end up with big debt but not biglaw.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:59 pm

It would be helpful to know the top 30 law school.

What is the total COA for each school ?

Will you get in-state tuition rates at the T-30 ?

Are both schools located in the state or area where you want to work after law school ?

Without more information, better to stay where you are.

meeps23

New

Post by meeps23 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:24 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:59 pm
It would be helpful to know the top 30 law school.

What is the total COA for each school ?

Will you get in-state tuition rates at the T-30 ?

Are both schools located in the state or area where you want to work after law school ?

Without more information, better to stay where you are.
Thanks for the reply. The law school is UIUC with in-state tuition. Total COA at the T80 would be ~40k. UIUC would be ~120k in tuition + fees alone, plus the other costs to attend. My stats are well within range to receive a near full ride or close to full at UIUC but it's bad timing. Both schools are located in the state I want to work in after law school.

meeps23

New

Post by meeps23 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:26 pm

nealric wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:45 pm
I wouldn't do full sticker at a T30. Most likely outcome is you end up with big debt but not biglaw.
Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards. Would it be better to sit out? I don't see the next cycle getting any better. I do know the T80 increased their class size by a significant amount, but a lot of places did too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:25 pm

Agreed with the above posters. If that T30 is USC and you want to be in SoCal or another school that you'll get instate at and want to be in that market, I'd consider pulling the trigger, but I think you are much better off staying put in general.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:32 am

meeps23 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:26 pm
nealric wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:45 pm
Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards. Would it be better to sit out? I don't see the next cycle getting any better. I do know the T80 increased their class size by a significant amount, but a lot of places did too.
You could consider bowing out, but I suppose it depends somewhat on whether you can meaningfully increase your admissions profile. A reverse splitter (high GPA, mediocre LSAT) has a better chance of this than a splitter since you can increase your LSAT but not your GPA. If more like the former 5 LSAT points could be the difference from getting off the waitlist at T30 and significant money at the T30 or T14 admissions.

Also, what you want out of law school makes a difference. Do you actually WANT a biglaw or biglaw adjacent career path, or are you fine being a local prosecutor or small firm lawyer after graduation?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”