Law School Loses Luster as Debts Mount and Salaries Stagnate Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pomeranian

Bronze

Law School Loses Luster as Debts Mount and Salaries Stagnate

Post by Pomeranian » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:59 pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/law-school ... _news_pos5

Just a regular reminder that there are still too many law school graduates and not enough good paying law jobs: "Only a dozen of the nation’s law schools leave students earning annual salaries two years after graduation that exceed their debts, according to the Education Department data covering roughly 200 programs."

tlsguy2020

New

Re: Law School Loses Luster as Debts Mount and Salaries Stagnate

Post by tlsguy2020 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:53 pm

I was very confused when I read this story. The fact that (a) law school is too expensive and (b) only the most elite law schools can guarantee high-paying jobs seems to have been a well-known fact for over a decade.

Law2019

New

Post by Law2019 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:40 pm

tlsguy2020 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:53 pm
I was very confused when I read this story. The fact that (a) law school is too expensive and (b) only the most elite law schools can guarantee high-paying jobs seems to have been a well-known fact for over a decade.
That was my thought as well. It was extremely easy, before applying to law school, to figure out what schools are worth attending and what debt load is manageable. It seems like the people in this article buried their heads in the sand and chose to ignore the reality that law school is not a good idea for most people.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:47 pm

There are still lots of people who don't have any information about law school besides the pop culture image of lawyers and lots of family members (who aren't lawyers) telling them it's a great option. You have to know to research the costs/benefits and a lot of undergrad advisors still aren't giving very reliable/helpful information on the subject.

I mean, ideally more people would figure this out, but there are too many schools and they're good at self-promotion. The information is out there, but there's still a lot of misinformation (and survivor bias) as well. I agree that the article isn't exactly news, but I'm not going to put all the blame on applicants.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:43 pm

Law2019 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:40 pm
tlsguy2020 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:53 pm
That was my thought as well. It was extremely easy, before applying to law school, to figure out what schools are worth attending and what debt load is manageable. It seems like the people in this article buried their heads in the sand and chose to ignore the reality that law school is not a good idea for most people.
Agreed. If this was, e.g., an article from 2008 or 2009, id have more sympathy. But I don’t have much sympathy for a 22-year old adult who mortgages their financial future away to go to UM at sticker without a concrete plan or solid understanding of the employment outcomes from UM (or worse schools). (And UM is a fine school for the right price!)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ALCA1920

New

Post by ALCA1920 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:16 pm

Let the buyer beware. But frankly, I don’t feel sympathy for a grown adult borrowing so much money to finance their education.

Second, now would be a good time for legislators to act and save the public from itself. I still wonder how this system of government loaning hundreds of thousands of irredeemable dollars on dubious degrees hasn’t imploded yet. Our tax money is used as loans for theater majors and Cooley law students, for crying out loud! We the people should be outraged.

I don’t think people should abandon their plans to go to law school because of this article, though. At the right price, a law degree can be invaluable, and there are still many people who desperately need legal assistance and can’t afford a good lawyer (think of all the work done by public defenders’ offices and legal aid societies). I pray we do better.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:22 pm

God FORBID we fund theater majors.

victoremsemper

New

Post by victoremsemper » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:19 am

Oft Repeated but as long as the federal gov't continues to guarantee Student Loans with no restrictions, the schools risk nothing & tuition will keep rising at astronomical rates.

AndI don't see Biden acting on making them dischargeable in bankruptcy which might give schools pause (since he wrote the 2005 law that started all this crap)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:55 am

victoremsemper wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:19 am
Oft Repeated but as long as the federal gov't continues to guarantee Student Loans with no restrictions, the schools risk nothing & tuition will keep rising at astronomical rates.

AndI don't see Biden acting on making them dischargeable in bankruptcy which might give schools pause (since he wrote the 2005 law that started all this crap)
We couldn't cap tuition, could we?

No, that's insanity. Only literally every other country with a system of higher education regulates tuition costs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”