C&F question - taxes Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
uygiugiyugyugk

New

C&F question - taxes

Post by uygiugiyugyugk » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:30 am

Is this likely to pose a C&F problem?

1.) The fucking individual consumer use tax, which nobody knows about or pays in most states (because it is NOT a question on the income tax return). You are supposed to keep track of your untaxed online purchases and send the state a check (ROFL). In my state like 100 people TOTAL paid it last year.

I moved here from another state in 2015. I paid this fucking tax every year since I've been here by making my best estimate (it was a couple months late in 2015 since I didn't know about it!). I recently re-calculated this and saw I used an incorrect tax rate on some purchases and missed some stuff, so sent the state more money (about another $220). I also realized I filed in at least two years I didn't have to (total purchases about $1,200; only have to file this if you hit 2k threshhold). Never asked for any money back.
I dont have the actual filing forms for each of these, but I have the canceled checks or bank statements showing payment. I also have the Excel sheets showing my calculations (which in some years are way less than what I actually paid -- e.g., I never deducted the value of items I bought and returned. Fuck it they can keep the money). I recently E-mailed the state and they told me all my use taxes are current (not like they'd have any way of knowing if I bought shit and didn't report it).

Now, I moved here from another state which ALSO has this fucking use tax, NOT part of the income tax return (except for ONE year, then people complained and it was removed the next year. without it being a line item on the income tax return, I had no idea about it before or after). I realized this last month when re-calculating my use taxes last month for the state I currently live in. So I grabbed all my Amazon records from when I lived there as far back as I could (2005-2015) (most purchases untaxed are from Amazon), added some major purchases I found on old archived E-mails, and sent the state a check for about $950 (first sent like $600 then a couple days later sent in more when I found some major, non-Amazon purchases). They never asked me to send them anything or contacted me about this. The only record I have is the canceled checks and my Excel calculations. I always add 10% on top of my estimates as well, and calculated the entire thing at the highest rate over that whole period. (Note, tax liabilities are extinguished in this state after 10 years, so technically I didn't have to pay on anything prior to 2011).

How everloving fucked am I? I have ALWAYS paid/filed actual income taxes on time. Is C&F going to want to get a bunch of info on this, canceled checks, etc etc? My excel sheets are a mess and only I understand them. But I paid to the best of my ability and always error on the side of overpaying. Fuck my life
Last edited by uygiugiyugyugk on Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: C&F question - taxes

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:53 pm

I recently E-mailed the state and they told me all my use taxes are current
Then what's your concern? What part of this post do you think is responsive to law schools' C+F questions, or would pose an issue for bar admission?

uygiugiyugyugk

New

Re: C&F question - taxes

Post by uygiugiyugyugk » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:26 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:53 pm
Then what's your concern? What part of this post do you think is responsive to law schools' C+F questions, or would pose an issue for bar admission?
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:53 pm
Many explicitly ask about ever been late to file any taxes, so yes, but it's not like this is my damn income taxes, i had no idea about it and remedied it as soon as I learned. Just wondering if it shows some type of financial irresponsibility. Like who would sent a check to a state for some esoteric tax 6 years after they moved from it? Me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”