Withdrew Binding ED/deferral 14 years ago Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
uygiugiyugyugk

New

Withdrew Binding ED/deferral 14 years ago

Post by uygiugiyugyugk » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:59 am

How fucked am I? Decided not to attend ANY law schools. Admitted binding ED, then got a 2 year deferral, but almost immediately after getting the deferral I decided against LS altogether.

The contract appears to to bind me for all time, not just that cycle. WTF?

nixy

Gold

Re: Withdrew Binding ED/deferral 14 years ago

Post by nixy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:32 am

Usually, deciding not to go to law school at all is fine - no one can force you to go to law school. What's binding is that if you do go to law school, you have to go to the one that accepted you ED.

I cannot imagine any law school actually enforcing an ED admission from 14 years ago, but just call up the school and ask them.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:08 pm

Most modern ED/deferral agreements expire after a cycle so I would be surprised to see this one enforced

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:41 pm

I wouldn’t remind the school of anything, that seems like it would just create problems if it did anything. Just apply like normal. That was ages ago.

Why the urge to go so much later though?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:28 am

Agree with the others. I've never heard of an ED/deferral that's binding beyond a single admissions cycle. You're fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uygiugiyugyugk

New

Post by uygiugiyugyugk » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:22 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:28 am
Agree with the others. I've never heard of an ED/deferral that's binding beyond a single admissions cycle. You're fine.
i am disclosing it on a supplement basically saying i was young and have no excuse. then if they admit me anyway it's not a C&F issue since i told them to begin with.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:53 am

uygiugiyugyugk wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:22 am
cavalier1138 wrote:
i am disclosing it on a supplement basically saying i was young and have no excuse. then if they admit me anyway it's not a C&F issue since i told them to begin with.
It’s absolutely not a C&F issue. You should disclose it if there’s a question it’s responsive to (like if you’re asked about admission to other schools or similar). If there isn’t a question to which it’s responsive, you don’t need to disclose it.

I suppose there’s nothing wrong with disclosing it as part of your past academic history, but do *not* say you were young and had no excuse, because *you didn’t do anything wrong.* Again, an ED acceptance and deferral do *not* bind you to attend law school, they just bind you to attend a particular school *if you do end up going to law school.* You are allowed to change your mind and not go, and you should *not* offer up apologies for doing so because there’s absolutely nothing wrong with doing so.

So if you want to tell them FYI, 14 years ago I was admitted ED to school X, deferred, and didn’t end up going, that’s fine, although it’s likely not necessary. You should *not* offer any kind of explanation for this as if it was somehow improper to do. It wasn’t.

uygiugiyugyugk

New

Post by uygiugiyugyugk » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:06 am

nixy wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:53 am
uygiugiyugyugk wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:22 am
cavalier1138 wrote:
It’s absolutely not a C&F issue. You should disclose it if there’s a question it’s responsive to (like if you’re asked about admission to other schools or similar). If there isn’t a question to which it’s responsive, you don’t need to disclose it.

I suppose there’s nothing wrong with disclosing it as part of your past academic history, but do *not* say you were young and had no excuse, because *you didn’t do anything wrong.* Again, an ED acceptance and deferral do *not* bind you to attend law school, they just bind you to attend a particular school *if you do end up going to law school.* You are allowed to change your mind and not go, and you should *not* offer up apologies for doing so because there’s absolutely nothing wrong with doing so.

So if you want to tell them FYI, 14 years ago I was admitted ED to school X, deferred, and didn’t end up going, that’s fine, although it’s likely not necessary. You should *not* offer any kind of explanation for this as if it was somehow improper to do. It wasn’t.
But am I bound to only ever attend that one law school even after that cycle? That I guess is the main question. I am planning to apply to a bunch of schools this fall, RD only.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:27 am

No, you're not. There's no way it's binding 14 years later. If it were, though, how you'd handle it would be to contact the school and enquire about whether it's still binding/can you be released, not just submit an addendum to other schools that says "oops my bad."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:43 am

Are you under the impression that schools have a shared database that flags if any applicant had ever previously done an ED at another school? Because they definitely do not.

You are almost certainly the only person in the world that cares about your ED from 14 years ago. Like, if you're just incredibly neurotic then I guess you can call the school to get confirmation.

I'd just apply like normal if I were you. Definitely don't do some weird supplement. Basically all that would do would be to make people worried there was a problem where there isn't.

uygiugiyugyugk

New

Post by uygiugiyugyugk » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:46 am

I understand and thanks to everyone for the confirmation I need to stop worrying.

Be hilarious though if they pulled out that old ED document (had to sign it by hand and drop it in the mail back then) and hold it up during a Zoom interview.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”