Reapplicant/Splitter Looking for Some Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NotSoFamousAmos

New

Reapplicant/Splitter Looking for Some Advice

Post by NotSoFamousAmos » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:27 pm

In the 2019-2020 cycle, I applied about as late as you possibly can, and came out with results that were alright given my stats at the time and the lateness of my apps. However, in May of 2020, my LSAT score popped up from the mid-high 160s to a 174, and I ultimately decided to withdraw from the WLs I was riding, get some work experience, and reapply in the 2021-2022 cycle. Well, after the horrendous cycle so many people here have endured, and seeing people concerned about how splitters like myself might end up this cycle, I'm wondering should I sit this cycle out too and wait one more year to apply? I graduated from college in the Spring of 2020, and I've been working a job that's relatively enjoyable - it's also a job in a field I could see myself returning to after law school as an attorney, but I don't want to be super-specific, since it's sort of niche.

My stats are a 3.6high GPA, my LSAT is a 174, and I'm a non-URM. Sorry if that's not a ton of detail, and if you need anymore info, I'll gladly edit the post.

As far as my school goals go, I'm really just hoping to crack the T14, and I'd say GULC with some sort of scholarship is truly a dream outcome for me. I've also learned from working my current job that I don't think I'm going to be the biglaw-type, even for just a few years, so, naturally, I am getting more and more debt-averse. Because of that, if I make it into a T14 at sticker, I really don't see it being super-likely that I'll pull the trigger and attend.

With all of that said, my questions are, again, should I sit this upcoming cycle out, since it's likely to be really competitive again? Also, if I do reapply for this cycle, how will schools view a third application if I ultimately decide against going again and try for the 2022-2023 cycle?

Also, just to get ahead of the likely question, "What benefit do I have in applying this year?" The job I'm in now is relatively enjoyable, yes, but I would like to get moving toward a career in law. Currently, it feels like my life is in a sort of stasis professionally, and somewhat personally. I can elaborate more on why I feel like this if need be, but I'm not sure it's entirely relevant here.

Any advice is welcome, and thanks in advance!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”