Should I Reapply Next Cycle? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Yman

New

Should I Reapply Next Cycle?

Post by Yman » Tue May 25, 2021 12:51 pm

I was wondering whether or not people think it would be wise for me to reapply next cycle, or go with one of the options I have.
Numbers- 4.10/179
I blanketed the top 15 schools and got 12 WLs, 1 R (Yale), and 2 As (Cornell and Georgetown, both with decent money).
I feel like I underperformed my numbers, but next cycle could be just as brutal. Could I get stronger results if I try again next year, or should I just go ahead and take one of my two acceptances?

cavalier1138

Re: Should I Reapply Next Cycle?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 25, 2021 1:43 pm

I know this cycle was hard, but you have near-perfect numbers. You should have seen much, much better results. Was there anything about your application that would have had a negative impact (C&F issues, poor LORs, PS that just copy-pasted the entire text of "Moby Dick")?

Yman

New

Post by Yman » Tue May 25, 2021 1:56 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:43 pm
I know this cycle was hard, but you have near-perfect numbers. You should have seen much, much better results. Was there anything about your application that would have had a negative impact (C&F issues, poor LORs, PS that just copy-pasted the entire text of "Moby Dick")?
No C&F issues and I thought my PS was ok but nothing mind-blowing. Hard to know with the LORs, but the professors all seemed enthusiastic to write me one so I doubt they trashed me or anything.

Two factors that might've played against me were my lack of work experience (I graduated the summer before but had yet to snag a post-grad job at the time I applied) and applying in late December.

Do you think I could see better results if I apply ASAP next cycle, with some added work experience?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Tue May 25, 2021 9:52 pm

Hard to say. If this were a couple years ago I would've told you to certainly wait. How much did you get from Cornell?
Cause, to me, if you can go to Cornell for 100k this year, or next year you can go for 85k to Cornell or 120k to Mich, I'd go now to Cornell now. It just depends on what you are comfortable with. You've got the scores for T6 though on paper. I do think applying early would yield better results but I'm still a bit shocked you were waitlisted everywhere else and would consider going through your app to make sure it is all normal (doesn't need to be amazing or anything).
Best of luck

mandrewsf

New

Post by mandrewsf » Thu May 27, 2021 9:54 am

Even if this cycle was crazy difficult I still think you massively underperformed relative to others in the cohort by stats alone. I'm guessing that softs became a more important differentiating factor at the T-14s this cycle given the influx of high stat applicants, and your lack of work experience hurt you. I'd work for a year (ideally law-related) and then blanket the T-14 again.

Or maybe just go to Cornell as it fulfills most people's career goals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

enoca

Bronze

Post by enoca » Thu May 27, 2021 8:12 pm

How late in the cycle did you apply? If you waited until the deadline the spots might just have been gone which is why you got so many waitlists; if that's the case, you would likely see much better results by applying on day 1. Results are generally much better if you apply early.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu May 27, 2021 10:13 pm

I don’t think late December should be late enough to lead to that many waitlists with those numbers. I know it was a tough cycle, but that seems very strange. Is your undergrad online only or with limited accreditation or something?

In any case, if you have a job that you like or can tolerate for another year,
I’d work and reapply. Did you have anyone else look at your app? Maybe have some outsiders review it? In case there’s some kind of faux pas or something in your PS that you’re just not aware of? Those are great numbers.

obamalaw

New

Post by obamalaw » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:31 pm

First, congrats on getting practically perfect numbers. You worked incredibly hard for them. Don't beat yourself up over getting waitlisted (it is an accomplishment in itself really).

If you want to go to those schools, go. Cornell and Georgetown are great schools. However, I would warn you the longer you wait, the more stressful moving to a new city will be. Also you are keeping an applicant on their waitlist from getting in by not declining admittance.

Will you be able to find a job that will allow you to work for only a year? Maybe as a runner at a law firm or sacking groceries if you are still living at home. If not, do you feel comfortable "leading a company on" for a year?

Yman

New

Post by Yman » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:35 pm

enoca wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:12 pm
How late in the cycle did you apply? If you waited until the deadline the spots might just have been gone which is why you got so many waitlists; if that's the case, you would likely see much better results by applying on day 1. Results are generally much better if you apply early.
I applied in mid-late December. Do you think that put me at a major disadvantage compared to September applicants?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:17 pm

Yman wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:35 pm
enoca wrote:
I applied in mid-late December. Do you think that put me at a major disadvantage compared to September applicants?
Mid-late December is not that late. I would take a look at your applications and see if something is off. Your results should be much better, I would re-apply.

joshal

New

Post by joshal » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:05 pm

I have similar stats and a similar outcome. I am also reapplying. I think there's more KJD's with empty stats than people think. Softs were definitely a bigger factor this cycle, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

alwyn2020

New

Post by alwyn2020 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:47 am

Yman wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:35 pm
enoca wrote:

The only tangible things you can do to improve your applications is re-apply in early September and get some work experience this year (anything white collar will be a boost).

That being said Cornell and Georgetown are great schools and Cornell's employment outcomes are on par with the rest of the T14, especially if you want to do NY big law: https://www.lstreports.com/compare/corn ... arvard/nyu

You could even do Cornell and if you get good grades and try and transfer into T6.

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:04 am

There has to be some reason why you are so drastically underperforming your numbers. Have someone else read over your application materials and provide neutral feedback. What was your undergraduate major and how rigorous was the coursework? Who were your recommenders and how do they know you? That would provide valuable context in deciding whether to re-apply next cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yman

New

Post by Yman » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:45 pm

OK, thought I should update this thread- I ended up reapplying this cycle, sending in my apps 3 months earlier than last time, with a new personal statement and job experience over the past year.

To say my results have been night and day from the previous cycle is an understatement.

My T14 acceptances:
Harvard, Columbia, UChicago (Ruby), UVA ($$$), Berkeley, Duke ($$$), Northwestern, Cornell ($$$), UCLA ($$$$)

I'm really not sure why I had such a vastly better cycle this time, but I'm certainly glad I made the decision to wait another year. Thank you to everyone who offered helpful advice in this thread!

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:07 pm

Congratulations! What an extraordinary reversal of fortune!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:30 am

OP: With your numbers, I am a bit surprised that you didn't get offers from Dartmouth Law & Princeton Law;
regardless, Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, Berkeley, Virginia, Duke, Northwestern, & Cornell acceptances are impressive. Congratulations !

pkeller

Post by pkeller » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:46 pm

Yman wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:45 pm
OK, thought I should update this thread- I ended up reapplying this cycle, sending in my apps 3 months earlier than last time, with a new personal statement and job experience over the past year.

To say my results have been night and day from the previous cycle is an understatement.

My T14 acceptances:
Harvard, Columbia, UChicago (Ruby), UVA ($$$), Berkeley, Duke ($$$), Northwestern, Cornell ($$$), UCLA ($$$$)

I'm really not sure why I had such a vastly better cycle this time, but I'm certainly glad I made the decision to wait another year. Thank you to everyone who offered helpful advice in this thread!
Sounds like timing made a HUGE difference. Your personal statement was also probably stronger as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pkeller

Post by pkeller » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:55 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:30 am
OP: With your numbers, I am a bit surprised that you didn't get offers from Dartmouth Law & Princeton Law !
Can't get offers from law schools that don't exist... :roll:

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:05 am

pkeller wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:55 pm
CanadianWolf wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:30 am
OP: With your numbers, I am a bit surprised that you didn't get offers from Dartmouth Law & Princeton Law !
Can't get offers from law schools that don't exist... :roll:
My post was intended to be humorous. :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”