Should I include an addendum for my non-punitive W and F grades? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zizzie

New

Should I include an addendum for my non-punitive W and F grades?

Post by zizzie » Mon May 24, 2021 10:17 pm

I have 4 W grades (withdrawals) on my transcript and 2 non-punitive Fs (they were remedial/developmental courses, so they are not factored into my GPA). The Fs are from 2017 when I started community college and took basic foundational math and English courses but I just stopped attending mid way through the semester due to family issues and medical issues.

Assuming my GPA is 3.9+ and my LSAT score is 170+, will top law school admissions care about the non-punitive Ws and Fs on my transcript? There is also like a 3 year gap between where I started attending community college, dropped out, and then started attending a different university again where I stayed and graduated.

I was thinking of including an addendum to explain the grades and discrepancies, but that might make them look closer into it which may or may not be worse. But I would assure them that it's not a recurring problem.

Thank you.

cavalier1138

Re: Should I include an addendum for my non-punitive W and F grades?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 25, 2021 9:50 am

You definitely don't need to explain the Ws.

The Fs might be a different story. When you say they're non-punitive, does your transcript actually say that these were remedial courses? It doesn't matter if your community college "counted" the courses; LSAC has its own standards for which grades it includes in calculating your LSAC GPA, which is the only thing that counts. And if I recall correctly, "remedial" courses need to be explicitly marked as such on your transcript for LSAC to ignore them.

zizzie

New

Post by zizzie » Tue May 25, 2021 11:47 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:50 am
You definitely don't need to explain the Ws.

The Fs might be a different story. When you say they're non-punitive, does your transcript actually say that these were remedial courses? It doesn't matter if your community college "counted" the courses; LSAC has its own standards for which grades it includes in calculating your LSAC GPA, which is the only thing that counts. And if I recall correctly, "remedial" courses need to be explicitly marked as such on your transcript for LSAC to ignore them.
The transcript does state that they are remedial/developmental courses. They are marked as "R" and "R" is equal to "Developmental Education" according to my transcript.

Should I explain the education gap? I started attending community college, dropped out for 4 years, then started attending university again. I should finish the degree 4 years like a normal student (although it sort of also took 8 years if the gap from when I first started matters)

Thank you.

zizzie

New

Post by zizzie » Tue May 25, 2021 1:36 pm

zizzie wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:47 am
The transcript does state that they are remedial/developmental courses. They are marked as "R" and "R" is equal to "Developmental Education" according to my transcript.
Correction to my last post, I just took a look at my official transcripts and the 2 Fs are marked as credit-based "College Preparatory" course rather than outright "remedial courses". They are both under level 100 though.

Should I be concerned that the LSAC might include them in the grade conversion, or would it be obvious enough that they're remedial courses?

Here is an image: https://i.imgur.com/GCsLoZl.png

Thank you.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 25, 2021 1:41 pm

zizzie wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:36 pm
I just took a look at my official transcripts and the 2 Fs are marked as credit-based "College Preparatory" course rather than outright "remedial courses". They are both under level 100 though.
The sub-100 designation does not necessarily mean LSAC will count them as remedial. I think this would be worth a call to LSAC, describing exactly how the courses appear on your transcript and asking whether LSAC would consider those to be "remedial" courses.
zizzie wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:47 am
Should I explain the education gap? I started attending community college, dropped out for 4 years, then started attending university again. I should finish the degree 4 years like a normal student (although it sort of also took 8 years if the gap from when I first started matters)
I would include a short addendum on this. It won't make a difference, but you generally don't want to leave adcomms guessing about why you took an unusual educational path.

zizzie

New

Post by zizzie » Tue May 25, 2021 6:43 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:41 pm

The sub-100 designation does not necessarily mean LSAC will count them as remedial. I think this would be worth a call to LSAC, describing exactly how the courses appear on your transcript and asking whether LSAC would consider those to be "remedial" courses.
LSAC was not able to give me a definitive reply and said that they don't want to accidentally misguide me. They said that the determination will be made once my transcripts are processed. But I still have over a year left to graduate so that'll be a while.

I assume that I can make a case for them being remedial courses. According to the course description, the courses do not go towards a degree. They do give "compensatory credits" but I think that's for financial aid reasons.

I also assume the reason they gave it the "R" indicator was because it stands for Remedial. "College Preparatory" classes are synonymous with "remedial" classes at my community college. I just wish the distinction was more clear on my transcripts just in case LSAC misinterprets it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”