Applying to JD/MPP with GRE- insight requested Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lechooch

New

Applying to JD/MPP with GRE- insight requested

Post by lechooch » Fri May 14, 2021 1:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

Been browsing this site on and off for some time now, really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here!!! I'm thinking about applying to law schools and MPP/MPA programs this fall, and looking for some advice on application strategy/insight on a) applying with the GRE, and b) applying to dual JD/MPP-MPA programs. For starters, here's what i'm working with:

GPA: 4.0x (Community college ->t20 UG).

GRE: 169V, 169Q, 5AW

2.5 years of work exp at matriculation in 2022. Evacuated Peace Corps Volunteer->COVID-19 legislative work in FedGov (fairly unique work experience/story I can craft here I hope)

nURM

I'm interested in continued federal service but in a higher level policy/legislative role, also hoping to pivot sectors into foreign policy if I stay the government route. Also interested in law; if I go all in on the law route, interested in appellate litigation at a firm, AUSA down the line in a western state. I've seen people in policy roles in government with JDs and MPPs, and from my research on this sub it seems like while usually one or the other is the right move, both could be right for me if the MPP is free. So heres what I want to know:

Am I competitive for HYS, or t-14 with $$$$ with my GRE? Seems there may be an unsaid expectation that GRE is for STEM/highly experienced applicants. I am not willing to take the LSAT under any circumstances.

Will applying for JD/MPP help alleviate the above concern? I think I would want to start the 1st year at the MPP, and if I decide that's all I need, I could withdraw from the law commitment, right?

Does the GRE preclude full rides like the ruby/hamilton/dillard? Any hope here?

Is the MPP worth it if I am genuinely interested in the content and don't mind a year of opportunity cost (assuming a get a fully funded package somewhere like Princeton SPIA, Yale Jackson, etc so no extra debt)

I know these things are unpredictable, and who knows what the next cycle will hold (my god it looks like this year was a shitshow). Any other advice or insight on how the GRE will play with an applicant like me or the wisdom of the MPP would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

cavalier1138

Re: Applying to JD/MPP with GRE- insight requested

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat May 15, 2021 7:08 am

I can't speak to the market for MPPs, but I can tell you two things that are hopefully helpful:

1. You are correct about the unspoken target group for GRE applicants (Berkeley and other schools have been more up-front about this). Applying for the dual degree won't change that; each program considers you separately for admission. That said, you obviously have a high GRE score that should presumably make you competitive for admission everywhere it's accepted.

2. There is no point in going to law school if you don't want to practice law. Since you (a) are thinking of law as a backup career and (b) aren't even willing to entertain taking the LSAT (which would be the simplest way to obviate all your concerns), you should not be applying to law school at this point. That doesn't mean you can't go later; law school isn't going anywhere. But there's no benefit to pursuing a JD now if you already know that's not your priority.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat May 15, 2021 11:27 am

Your GRE scores are outstanding, however it is difficult to assess your chances foe Harvard, Yale, & Stanford without knowledge of your undergraduate GPA.

Interesting question regarding eligibility or likelihood of being awarded a named law school scholarship with only GRE scores.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat May 15, 2021 12:00 pm

I mean, I think 4.0x is enough information to say that their UGPA is excellent as well.

lechooch

New

Post by lechooch » Sat May 15, 2021 12:21 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:08 am
I can't speak to the market for MPPs, but I can tell you two things that are hopefully helpful:

1. You are correct about the unspoken target group for GRE applicants (Berkeley and other schools have been more up-front about this). Applying for the dual degree won't change that; each program considers you separately for admission. That said, you obviously have a high GRE score that should presumably make you competitive for admission everywhere it's accepted.

2. There is no point in going to law school if you don't want to practice law. Since you (a) are thinking of law as a backup career and (b) aren't even willing to entertain taking the LSAT (which would be the simplest way to obviate all your concerns), you should not be applying to law school at this point. That doesn't mean you can't go later; law school isn't going anywhere. But there's no benefit to pursuing a JD now if you already know that's not your priority.
Cavalier,

Thanks for your response, your points are very well taken. You are correct that I have not yet decided if I want to practice law. I am still mulling over my options. One big thing for me is whether I want to have my career in Washington DC, or get back to my home state on the West Coast. If I want to work out on the west coast, the policy jobs are much less numerous/appealing, hence the interest in practicing law. Im kinda hoping I can apply, maybe get into both programs, and decide later on! The LSAT aversion comes from a few months spent studying it last year with abysmal practice test scores, and I'm pretty spent from the GRE (working full time and studying sucks).

Do you think there would be any concerns with doing a dual program, with the first year in the MPP, and then simply withdrawing from the law component if I decide it's not for me? I think i'll get fee waivers because of peace corps, so applying isn't too much of a burden.

Relatedly, Ive heard HYS, Yale in particular, sends a lot of folks into policy jobs. I know TLS wisdom is not to go to law school unless you're dying to practice though! Can you see any benefits to the law degree or dual degree over just the policy degree in any situation, or is it always a bad call? Seems like everyone in legislative affairs (leadership especially) at my Agency has a JD.

And yes to the above comment that my GPA is a hair above a 4.0.

Again, really appreciate the feedback everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”