Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

UW UCI

Poll ended at Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:20 am

UW
67%
UCI
33%

Total votes: 3

d0cj0nes

New

Advice

Post by d0cj0nes » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:20 am

I am choosing between UW Seattle and UC Irvine. My COA would be ~109k for UW and ~65k for UC Irvine. I prefer Seattle and have connections in Washington state from undergrad, but would it not be smart to pay over 40k more? I do not need BL, but I would like to have a 6 figure salary at graduation and do copyright/trademark work.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Advice

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:11 am

These are peer schools. The question is: Would you rather be in Washington or SoCal? It seems WA/Seattle. I would go to UW if that is your goal. That is pretty pricey though. I personally have a mediumish tolerance for debt- so for a lot of T1 schools like UCI, UW, Illinois, Minnesota, Arizona, etc.- I'd feel comfortable going around 60-90ish in debt (this would include living expenses and tuition). This means basically getting 2/3 scholarships at these kind of schools or at least half rides (like you have for UCI). Some folks may have more or less tolerance- I get real squeamish after passing that 90-100k mark cause you're just going to be paying back a lot of money plus interest and you just aren't even close to guaranteed a 6 figure salary post grad.
Is UW at 109k total COA for 3 years the end of the world? No. But it is a hell of a lot of debt. UCI is worth it for that cost, but it doesn't seem you want to be in SoCal, so kinda moot.

d0cj0nes

New

Post by d0cj0nes » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:24 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:11 am
These are peer schools. The question is: Would you rather be in Washington or SoCal? It seems WA/Seattle. I would go to UW if that is your goal. That is pretty pricey though. I personally have a mediumish tolerance for debt- so for a lot of T1 schools like UCI, UW, Illinois, Minnesota, Arizona, etc.- I'd feel comfortable going around 60-90ish in debt (this would include living expenses and tuition). This means basically getting 2/3 scholarships at these kind of schools or at least half rides (like you have for UCI). Some folks may have more or less tolerance- I get real squeamish after passing that 90-100k mark cause you're just going to be paying back a lot of money plus interest and you just aren't even close to guaranteed a 6 figure salary post grad.
Is UW at 109k total COA for 3 years the end of the world? No. But it is a hell of a lot of debt. UCI is worth it for that cost, but it doesn't seem you want to be in SoCal, so kinda moot.
Thank you. I wasn’t set on being in Seattle in the beginning of this cycle, but being left with these 2 schools made me realize I rather be in Seattle if the schools are equal. I feel like UW is a “better fit”, but I don’t know if 45k is a big enough difference in debt where I just need to suck it up and go to UCI. If my quality of life is going to be noticeably better by taking on less debt, then I rather go to UCI.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:05 pm

What kind of background do you have for copyright and trademark work?

Either way, making 6 figures at graduation out of either of these schools could be an uphill battle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”