Internships and Applications Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mastermonkey45

New

Internships and Applications

Post by mastermonkey45 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:39 am

Okay, so, like many in undergrad at the moment, my plans for summer internships (both 2020 and 2021) got supremely shafted. Like, last year I was stuck at home working with my dad (family business) and this year multiple firms cancelled their summer internship programs. Sow how much weight will LS give this chunk of each applicant's resume? I can't see them outright ignoring it unless it's delineated exactly why there is a somewhat empty summer in place of what would have been a stellar internship. This is my last summer (graduating next year, three year program) so I don't know what else to distinguish myself while in undergrad aside from my 4.0 and other extracurriculars. Maybe I am stressing a trivial thing more than I should, I just don't want schools to find an excuse to exclude those who got dinged out of a summer 2021 internship.

Thoughts?

cavalier1138

Re: Internships and Applications

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:01 am

You shouldn't go straight through, especially if you're graduating young.

That said, here's the rough breakdown of how your application factors will be weighted:

95% - LSAT/GPA
3% - Real work experience and/or advanced degrees
1% - LORs
0.99% - Personal statement
0.01% - Summer internships

nixy

Gold

Re: Internships and Applications

Post by nixy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:12 am

Your 4.0 will be more than sufficient. I think for your sake it would be good to find *something,* because more work experience is better than less work experience, but this is more for your personal growth and self-edification than for law school applications. A summer internship isn’t going to make a difference.

Like go work scooping ice cream or doing landscaping or painting houses or whatever summer job you can find. That will be fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”