Reapply next year? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jmccarthy1993

New

Reapply next year?

Post by jmccarthy1993 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:40 pm

Hi--

LSAT: 162, 156
GPA: 3.75
Work Experience: I am currently the Campaign Director for a small environmental non-profit working on federal policy (2 years). Before that, I worked to successfully pass clean energy legislation in VA, DC, and MD (2 years as well). I also interned in the Senate during college and have volunteered on too many political campaigns to count.

Accepted: Lewis & Clark ($$), American University ($$$), and Vermont Law School ($$$).
Waitlisted: UVA, Georgetown, WashU, UW (Seattle).
Rejected: UGA, GW, ASU, UCLA, UT, Alabama

I tried to negotiate with Lewis and Clark for more money, but have had little luck so far. There is a possibility I could receive more money in the summer (closer to a full ride). I put down an initial deposit, but am skeptical of attending Lewis and Clark on anything less than a full scholarship.

I want to do public interest law, possibly environmental, with the goal of working for either a nonprofit or the federal government. I am also considering the JAG program immediately out of law school. Beyond the obvious Washington, DC, I'm not sure exactly where I would like to practice.

I had to retake the LSAT in January and so was not able to apply until very late in the process. Do folks think it makes sense to re-apply next year in October? Would I stand a better chance of acceptance? What do you think about the offer from Lewis and Clark?

Thanks for your input.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Reapply next year?

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:38 pm

First, you should certainly reapply next year and retake the LSAT if you can.
Second, you have a huge smattering of schools that are all interchangeable and do well in their respective states. Do you really not care if you spend your career in B'ham vs. PHX vs. Burlington vs. SoCal vs. Austin?
I say at least first pick a region or something. You want govt work, possibly PI work and possibly JAG. Go to school either at a T14 or a T1 (or homestate U) where you get a full/substantial scholarship. You want to do environmental law in Oregon- lewis and clark or u of o for free or really cheap are great options- and you can still do jag from them- and these would be a better option than going to somewhere like U of Arizona even though it is higher ranked, cause U of AZ doesn't place into Env PI work in Oregon. Similarly, Ole Miss can be a great choice if you're open to doing the same thing but in Mississippi. Bama is great for Bama, ASU for Arizona, etc. The only schools that really cross state/regional lines are the t14. Sure, UCLA/UT/Vandy can but they still tend to stay in their region a decent chunk of the time.
Retake, reapply, try to go to school for free in the state you want to practice in or go to a T14 school (however, I do think your goals are totally plausible from a decent state U/T1 school so I would maybe try and hang my hat on that- say you really do want to be in B'ham or Alabama in general- going to Bama for free or close to it is a great outcome for you and I'd personally pick it over going to someplace like Gtown for 200k+ in debt).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”