Does pro bono work help boost resume before applying to law school> Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
successlss

New

Does pro bono work help boost resume before applying to law school>

Post by successlss » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:42 pm

I was wondering if I should choose a financial firm or do some pro bono work before law school. Will pro bono work help grow my skills that are necessary for a legal career in the future? Personally, I love to help others but I also must be realistic because I just graduated and I would like to work for something that is currently most useful? I'm sorry I don't know how to phrase this well but I would appreciate if you have any advice!

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Does pro bono work help boost resume before applying to law school>

Post by crazywafflez » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:46 pm

Go to whichever will allow you to save the most money and is most fulfilling to you. Save up money for law school + do something you enjoy doing for the couple years in between. Law schools won't care if you worked for Saint Augustine's Puppy rescue and litigation squad or Mr. Burns and the meanie team that reppos trailers.

cavalier1138

Re: Does pro bono work help boost resume before applying to law school>

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:20 am

Just to clarify this point: You aren't a lawyer, so you won't be doing "pro bono" work that counts as any kind of legal experience. If you're asking whether you should work in public service, then absolutely do that if it's something you're interested in. If you're asking whether you should volunteer instead of working a paid job, then absolutely do that if it's something you're interested in and can afford to do.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”