Does depositing and then withdrawing hurt your chances of a future acceptance? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
93urei

New

Does depositing and then withdrawing hurt your chances of a future acceptance?

Post by 93urei » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:42 pm

If I deposit at a school, and then decide to withdraw and reapply next year, does that damage my chances of gaining another acceptance there?

apple22

New

Re: Does depositing and then withdrawing hurt your chances of a future acceptance?

Post by apple22 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:50 pm

Why not just ask to defer a year?

93urei

New

Re: Does depositing and then withdrawing hurt your chances of a future acceptance?

Post by 93urei » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 pm

apple22 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:50 pm
I didn't get into my top choice, but I got into my backup. My motivation for re-applying next year would be an attempt to secure admission at my top choice, but I wouldn't want to sabotage my chances at my backups.

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:06 pm

93urei wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 pm
apple22 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:50 pm
I didn't get into my top choice, but I got into my backup. My motivation for re-applying next year would be an attempt to secure admission at my top choice, but I wouldn't want to sabotage my chances at my backups.
I'm assuming you've already deposited? If you haven't deposited, and you're confident you want to re-apply, then the question is moot, obviously. I don't think it will hurt your chances the next year to do this, but it's hard to say without working in admissions at the school you're talking about.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:33 am

93urei wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 pm
I didn't get into my top choice, but I got into my backup.
Remove the words "backup" and "safety school" from your law school admissions vocabulary. There are law schools that will provide you with a reasonable chance at the career you want for a price that will allow you to service your debt. Any school that doesn't fall in that category is not a "backup"; it is a school you should not be considering at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”