UChicago or Michigan? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LandCrabLaw

New

UChicago or Michigan?

Post by LandCrabLaw » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:37 pm

My options:
UChicago (<$)
Columbia (tbd)
NYU (tbd)
Michigan ($$$)

I'm in limbo aid wise with the other two T6s but I'm hoping they give me a good enough offer for UChicago to raise theirs. But I want to decide what to do in the event that that doesn't happen.

My goals are to get a federal clerkship (ideally out of law school and ideally district court then COA), and long-term DOJ/AUSA (but I know I may have to do some biglaw before getting that kind of job). All else equal I prefer UChicago because of personal ties and I think it will set me up for my career goals best. But the debt scares me and my surface level research of their LRAP makes me think it isn't a viable option. On the other hand, Michigan gave me a great scholarship offer so I would have a very manageable debt load. Also have strong personal ties to Michigan.

I have two competing fears that I don't know how to reconcile. I am afraid that if I go to UChicago I may just end up in a position I could have just as easily gotten had I gone to Michigan, but now I'm saddled with debt for no reason. On the other hand I'm afraid that if I go to Michigan I may end up not achieving as much as in my career as I feel like I could have had I gone to UChicago.

As a side note I'm on the HLS waitlist but I'm not getting my hopes up. If by some miracle I do get in I would consider it but for my decision process I am operating now as if I were rejected.

Any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: UChicago or Michigan?

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:30 pm

For me, I'd personally take Mich on a fullride than H at sticker. That is just kinda my starting place. I would also take Mich here given the cost differentials. Chi gets you that better clerkship rate; but it isn't as if it is low at Mich- you will in all likelihood get a clerkship from Mich if you're above median- especially if you're open to doing one in Lansing or something.
Your goals are fully possible at Mich and Chi isn't worth 100k+ more than Mich. You'll need good grades from both (or NYU or C) to get a great clerkship and AUSA will just be a scramble and depend on a lot of other factors once you get down that path. You'll get biglaw from all of them. Go to Mich unless you get just fantastic offers from the others.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:33 am

Given OP's stated goal of multiple federal judicial clerkships, the University of Chicago is the better choice if the COA difference is about $120,000 or less, in my opinion.

P.S. Would help to know the actual COA of each school.

LandCrabLaw

New

Post by LandCrabLaw » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:42 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:33 am
Given OP's stated goal of multiple federal judicial clerkships, the University of Chicago is the better choice if the COA difference is about $120,000 or less, in my opinion.

P.S. Would help to know the actual COA of each school.
The difference in COA is actually right around $120k. Do you think UChicago is the better option just because of the clerkship benefits, or will it substantially help me get an AUSA or even main justice position?

LandCrabLaw

New

Post by LandCrabLaw » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:30 pm
For me, I'd personally take Mich on a fullride than H at sticker. That is just kinda my starting place. I would also take Mich here given the cost differentials. Chi gets you that better clerkship rate; but it isn't as if it is low at Mich- you will in all likelihood get a clerkship from Mich if you're above median- especially if you're open to doing one in Lansing or something.
Your goals are fully possible at Mich and Chi isn't worth 100k+ more than Mich. You'll need good grades from both (or NYU or C) to get a great clerkship and AUSA will just be a scramble and depend on a lot of other factors once you get down that path. You'll get biglaw from all of them. Go to Mich unless you get just fantastic offers from the others.
I'm not really looking to clerk in Michigan. I actually want to clerk and then work in Chicago if that changes your analysis.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:38 pm

Not really. I'm guessing but we could just guess that for a competitive clerkship you'd maybe need top 20% at chi or top 15% at Mich- or something akin to get your foot in the door from either. You'll get biglaw from either- maybe it will be Skadden, or maybe it'll be Butler Snow or Baker Donelson. But to me, while there is a difference between the schools, I personally wouldn't value that at 120k. 60k maybe, but 120K is a crap ton of money and your outcomes, while perhaps varying slightly, will be substantially the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”