Canadian JD or wait for a year for a better American JD? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kingzjq

New

Canadian JD or wait for a year for a better American JD?

Post by kingzjq » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:06 am

Hello everyone, I am an international undergraduate student studying in a top school in Canada. I have accepted an offer from a top Canadian JD program. It is my first Canadian law school choice and I am happy with my result this year.

However, I am still very tempted by the top US law school, especially HYS. Not only those schools are so prestigious, but also the income from US law firms is much higher than in Canada. So the top 3 US law schools are still very attractive to me.

So I am not sure if I should re-take the LSAT this summer just for a better shot to get into HYS? My highest LSAT score for this cycle is mid-160s. If I can receive a 170+ in August, I would like to try to apply for HYS this fall while going to my Canadian JD program. If not, I am still very happy to do my Canadian JD. I won't lose anything except the time for leisure and the time with family and friends, and except the time to purchase LSAT study materials.

My LSAC Canadian CGPA is 4.10+, which is above the 75th percentile for all US law schools. I am also sure that I have strong recommendation letters from two of my professors. I also have many work experience to talk about during my undergrad studies (I have TA, RA, and many other work experience)...

Another factor to consider is that I have studied for this exam for 7 to 8 months. So how much I can improve for another 3-4 months of studies is another question. But I am sure that I won't be very stressed studying the LSAT this time since I am kind of secured in a great Canadian school.

I am now struggling to make a decision. On the one hand, I prefer to live in Canada as it has a better quality of life overall and helps me to achieve a work-life balance. On the other hand, HYS are so prestigious and the salary in American big law firms is much higher.

If you were me, how could you make the decision? Do you think it is worth it for me to spend this summer studying the LSAT? Is it still worthy for me to try to apply for HYS this summer? I don't think any US law schools after T3 are attractive enough for me to leave Canada.

Thank you everyone!

BrainsyK

Bronze

Re: Canadian JD or wait for a year for a better American JD?

Post by BrainsyK » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:40 am

Go US, but not HYS. Go Ruby/Hamilton. The gap between HYS and CCN for vanilla Biglaw is not worth $200k--even with the extra prestige thrown in. Ruby/Hamilton might even be cheaper than U of T depending on how financial aid plays out.

Also, don't go NY Biglaw if you can help it. The downsides of Bay Street are hours, griminess, and expensive housing. NYC takes all those 3 things to another level. Yes, you get paid more, but you could do a lot less for a lot more.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:52 pm

Your current LSAT score in the mid-160s is too low for the top 6 (Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Chicago, Columbia, & NYU) US law schools--although borderline for NYU.

You do not understand the job placement of the top law schools in the US. The highest paying biglaw jobs are not limited to graduates of just Harvard, Yale, & Stanford.

As it is clear that English is not your first language, I wonder if scoring above 170 on the LSAT is a realistic expectation for you.

If you are attending Toronto, Osgoode Hall, or McGill, you should continue at that law school. US law school tuition is much higher than the tuition at Canadian law schools.

Retake the LSAT. If your score improves to 170 or better, then you could qualify for a significant scholarship from a few top 14 law schools.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:25 pm

OP: Major New York City law firms do recruit at Univ. of Toronto, McGill, & possibly at Osgoode Hall/York.

pineapplelaw

New

Post by pineapplelaw » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:16 am

I agree with what the other people say. You LSAT score is too low for T6 in the US HYSCCN. You will need at least 170 to have a good shot in CCN UNLESS you have something amazing to show, and 175 for HYS.
If you want to work in the US in the future, retake LSAT and apply to T14. If you want to stay in Canada go to a Canadian school. UofT does send students to NYC every year but like 20/200 and over half of them did JD/MBA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”