how much is dual enrollment going to affect my chances at T6? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fifiw

New

how much is dual enrollment going to affect my chances at T6?

Post by fifiw » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi guys,

I found out today that dual enrollment courses taken in high school count for my CAS GPA. I got almost all As, but a bad final quarter my senior year (thanks, senioritis) has finally come back to bite me. When I was in high school, A's in DE classes were weighted as 5.0s on a 4.0 scale. B's were weighted as 4.0s, C's 3.0's, and so forth. Would that be grounds to consider the A's A+s, B's As, and C's Bs??

Trying not to cry right now. I worked really hard to get a 175 and raise my GPA up to a 3.5 (I'm an AA URM) and now classes I took when I was 15 might get in the way of everything I hoped for. I really hope the undergrad boost is real for URMs, otherwise I'm screwed.

cavalier1138

Re: how much is dual enrollment going to affect my chances at T6?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 am

The URM boost is absolutely real, but to answer your core question about GPA calculation: LSAC is not going to count your previous college courses using your high school's grade-point assignments. They're going to look at the college transcript in isolation and assign regular GPAs to it.

That said, how bad was that final quarter? If the vast majority of your CC courses are A grades, it's likely going to boost your LSAC GPA.

fifiw

New

Re: how much is dual enrollment going to affect my chances at T6?

Post by fifiw » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:52 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 am
The URM boost is absolutely real, but to answer your core question about GPA calculation: LSAC is not going to count your previous college courses using your high school's grade-point assignments. They're going to look at the college transcript in isolation and assign regular GPAs to it.

That said, how bad was that final quarter? If the vast majority of your CC courses are A grades, it's likely going to boost your LSAC GPA.
I got straight A’s every semester and had a 4.0 every quarter. That is, until my senior spring when senioritis hit me. I got a C and a B which brought my overall to a 3.44. I tried to calculate my LSAC GPA with my dual enrollment GPA and I got two results: one raised it by 0.005 and the other lowered it 0.01. Thankfully, that is negligible and I’d rather have no boost than a huge drop.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”