Take summer community college courses? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dealsled69

New

Take summer community college courses?

Post by dealsled69 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:07 pm

Found a CC near me that gives A+ which is a 4.333 to LSAC.. I have a 3.73 and aiming for T14. Should I enroll in as many of these courses as I can this summer? Credit hours cost 1/4 of what my university costs plus my dad pays for it so I don't care about how much it costs.

I have a finance internship F500 but it's a very rigid 9-6 schedule and these classes are module based which means you go at your own pace and no live lectures. I can grind them out after work. I did some math and assuming A+ grades, I could hit 3.8+ by end of summer when I am applying to law school.

Any thoughts? Is this too good to be true lmao? Also, would a 3.73 to 3.8 have a significant impact on admissions?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Take summer community college courses?

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:01 am

Any uGPA that is above a particular law school's median GPA helps with respect to getting admitted while any uGPA above a particular law school's 75th percentile helps with respect to scholarship merit awards.

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:21 pm

This will work (and is not too good to be true) *if* you actually get A+s (or As). But that's maybe a big assumption--I'd at least do some research on Rate My Professors or ask around to figure out if you can definitely achieve high grades in these classes. Once you get past whatever the school's add/drop deadline is, you're stuck with whatever grade you get, good or bad. That is, you'll have to report the grade(s) to LSAC even if you get an A- (which would slightly lower your current average) or a B or something.

Maybe Yale or to a much lesser extent Stanford or Harvard would look askance at a ton of community college credits, but it shouldn't really matter to the schools you'll be aiming for, as numbers are king.

obamalaw

New

Post by obamalaw » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:27 pm

What is your LSAT score?
What are the schools median uGPA and LSAT scores?

babyxmarine

New

Post by babyxmarine » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:30 pm

I was under the impression that unless your grades are under a degree program it wouldnt count towards your uGPA? For example, if you already have a bachelors degree then taking community college classes wouldn't count toward LSAC.

But I am interested in seeing if anyone can attest to that move working or not. I'd love to know as well OP lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:34 pm

babyxmarine wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:30 pm
I was under the impression that unless your grades are under a degree program it wouldnt count towards your uGPA? For example, if you already have a bachelors degree then taking community college classes wouldn't count toward LSAC.

But I am interested in seeing if anyone can attest to that move working or not. I'd love to know as well OP lol
You're almost right. Grades earned after your first undergraduate degree don't count toward your LSAC GPA. But (with a couple narrow exceptions) for-credit grades earned before your first undergraduate degree count, even if you never transfer them to your degree program. I guess we're all assuming OP is still in undergrad because of the reference to the finance internship and his dad paying for courses, but this is still a good thing to point out.

babyxmarine

New

Post by babyxmarine » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:41 pm

polareagle wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:34 pm
babyxmarine wrote:

You're almost right. Grades earned after your first undergraduate degree don't count toward your LSAC GPA. But (with a couple narrow exceptions) for-credit grades earned before your first undergraduate degree count, even if you never transfer them to your degree program. I guess we're all assuming OP is still in undergrad because of the reference to the finance internship and his dad paying for courses, but this is still a good thing to point out.

Ahhhhhhh! Wish I would have known this before my 3.67 cumulative :cry: but thank you. I just wanted to make sure. For OP then, it would be in their best interest to go ahead and do that if they can guarantee that grade. Its something I would have done.

dealsled69

New

Post by dealsled69 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:22 pm

polareagle wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:34 pm
babyxmarine wrote:

Yeah, I'm still in undergrad and will be a senior in the fall.

dealsled69

New

Post by dealsled69 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:27 pm

obamalaw wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:27 pm
What is your LSAT score?
Don't have an LSAT score yet. Taking in April and then as many times as I need to after that to break 173+. That is my personal threshold for not retaking. Problem is I'm PT'ing 169-171. I'm working with a tutor and trying to tighten up my performance.

I'd still be below most T14 gpa medians at a 3.8 but for example lets look at Colubmia. They have a 3.82 median. If there were two applicants with a 172-173, one with a 3.73 and one with a 3.8, wouldn't the one right below the median have a better chance? I geneuinly don't know if it matters that much because I'll still be under median.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dealsled69

New

Post by dealsled69 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:34 pm

polareagle wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:21 pm
This will work (and is not too good to be true) *if* you actually get A+s (or As). But that's maybe a big assumption--I'd at least do some research on Rate My Professors or ask around to figure out if you can definitely achieve high grades in these classes. Once you get past whatever the school's add/drop deadline is, you're stuck with whatever grade you get, good or bad. That is, you'll have to report the grade(s) to LSAC even if you get an A- (which would slightly lower your current average) or a B or something.

Maybe Yale or to a much lesser extent Stanford or Harvard would look askance at a ton of community college credits, but it shouldn't really matter to the schools you'll be aiming for, as numbers are king.
Good advice. Did a pretty detailed background check on my potential profs and they are all rated super easy and given great reviews. It would also be philosophy courses btw. I think I'm going to go for it

obamalaw

New

Post by obamalaw » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:09 pm

dealsled69 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:27 pm
obamalaw wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:27 pm
What is your LSAT score?
Don't have an LSAT score yet. Taking in April and then as many times as I need to after that to break 173+. That is my personal threshold for not retaking. Problem is I'm PT'ing 169-171. I'm working with a tutor and trying to tighten up my performance.

I'd still be below most T14 gpa medians at a 3.8 but for example lets look at Colubmia. They have a 3.82 median. If there were two applicants with a 172-173, one with a 3.73 and one with a 3.8, wouldn't the one right below the median have a better chance? I geneuinly don't know if it matters that much because I'll still be under median.
If you are below the median in GPA but have a competitive LSAT score, my advice would be to apply as early as possible. You really have a lot to be proud of- a GPA of 3.73 and an average PLSAT of 170 are competitive numbers for many great schools. Please do not get overworked and stressed. I am sure you will do just fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”