Intent of Law Degree/School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EdwardNigma

New

Intent of Law Degree/School

Post by EdwardNigma » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:21 pm

I'm in the very preliminary phase of thinking about Law School. Just finished my bachelor's in December of 2020, just laying low, friends, working on my podcast, etc for the couple of months before making my next move during the pandemic. I've thought about getting into government work or politics as my career path but nothing is set in stone. I had first thought a law degree would be helpful in that industry quite honestly the research I've done on a lot of forums such as this seems to highly shit on the concept of law school 🤣 the main point I see is that there aren't a lot of big law jobs out there aren't worth it. I completely get that but if I went into law school it wouldn't be for the intention of getting a big law job, call me soft or what have you but I really do enjoy working with people and didn't enjoy my sales job where I was making close to six figures, the money didn't provide me with that satisfaction. I'm just asking if a lot of the job market critiques (which sound very fair this market is clearly saturated with too many people) or because the intent of most people on forums such as this is to graduate law and practice with a very high paying salary? Does anyone go into law with the idea of working in the public sector and getting their loans forgiven under the PSLF?

cavalier1138

Re: Intent of Law Degree/School

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:07 pm

EdwardNigma wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:21 pm
Does anyone go into law with the idea of working in the public sector and getting their loans forgiven under the PSLF?
Yes, plenty of people do that. But what do you mean by "working in the public sector?" There are lots of non-legal careers in public service, and since you started out by mentioning an interest in a political career, I'm not sure law school makes much sense for you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”