Law school applications up 20% - why do you think that is? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tlsadmin3

Law school applications up 20% - why do you think that is?

Post by tlsadmin3 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:26 pm

According to an article on law.com (https://www.law.com/2021/03/04/a-year-l ... pplicants/), law school applications are up 20% so far this cycle. While that can be a huge boon for the legal profession as a whole, it will undoubtedly make this cycle more competitive than usual. What do you think is driving this increase in applications?

Rule23andMe

New

Re: Law school applications up 20% - why do you think that is?

Post by Rule23andMe » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:12 pm

hmm hard to say, can’t think of anything unusual happening in the past year

JamezPhoenix

New

Post by JamezPhoenix » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:09 am

tlsadmin3 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:26 pm
According to an article on law.com (https://www.law.com/2021/03/04/a-year-l ... pplicants/), law school applications are up 20% so far this cycle. While that can be a huge boon for the legal profession as a whole, it will undoubtedly make this cycle more competitive than usual. What do you think is driving this increase in applications?
everyone who is anti-mask is trying to become a lawyer so they can sue?

I would think it might be because the LSAT is "easier" because you don't have the stress of being crammed into a creepy building with a bunch of other people, honestly all joking aside, probably some anti-biden, anti-mask people just like the "trump bump".

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:21 pm

Covid-19.

Folks are spending a lot of time in isolation thinking about their futures.
Applying to graduate schools & professional schools is one way to keep busy & seem productive.

ALCA1920

New

Post by ALCA1920 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:29 pm

People "thinking" about their futures while isolated as CanadianWolf said, not wanting to go into the job market with just a bachelor's because it doesn't pay well. A generic degree from the college of liberal arts and sciences doesn't get you very far nowadays, especially without significant research experience or proof of passion in the subject you studied. LS seems like a good path forward for the upwardly-mobile among us– it's a professional degree, pays enough to feed and clothe you, and it's a little more respectable than being just a lib arts major (depending on who you ask). It's also easier to get than other professional degrees– I changed majors like dirty underwear every semester and still got accepted to law school. No way an MD/PhD adcom would accept me with that track record lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thedragon5678

New

Post by thedragon5678 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:41 pm

I think there is a combination of a lot of factors at play for in the increase in applications, whether or not more applications means that there are more applicants. The LSAC did a pretty efficient job of transitioning to a digital LSAT and a lot of people had a lot of time on their hands to dedicate to studying for it and to submitting applications. Cost is a huge issue for some people when it comes to interviews, and online interviews this spring meant that applicants didn't have to pay for travel, and thus could spend some of their allocated travel budget on more application for more schools. I'm sure there are more factors, but I hoped this helped :)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:16 am

thedragon5678 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:41 pm
Cost is a huge issue for some people when it comes to interviews, and online interviews this spring meant that applicants didn't have to pay for travel, and thus could spend some of their allocated travel budget on more application for more schools.
Which schools previously required in-person interviews? When I applied, most schools didn't interview, and those that did already allowed for a remote option (or the option to interview with an alum in your area).

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:06 am

Obviously the pandemic, same thing happened in 2008

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”