Multiple BA & an MA degree. Chances at a top 20? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sschoonm

New

Multiple BA & an MA degree. Chances at a top 20?

Post by sschoonm » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:56 am

As a non-traditional applicant - current age is 41, I have a BS in Finance in 2003 with 2.8 GPA from the U. of Denver. I later transferred those credits into the U. of Colorado - Denver and got an additional BA in Philosophy with a 3.5 GPA earned in 2010. After that, I completed an MA in Philosophy with a 3.8 GPA from California State University, Los Angeles. My LSAT is 171. I have years of professional experience in software development for 3 years and a finance job for 5 years. It's tough to know if I'll be viewed as a splitter with only using the DU GPA or if I'll be more competitive by only using the 3.5 GPA from CU Denver. I keep reading that graduate degrees don't count, but helps with a holistic picture. Any input would be helpful.

nixy

Gold

Re: Multiple BA & an MA degree. Chances at a top 20?

Post by nixy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:34 pm

Unfortunately, the UGPA that will count is your 2.8 from your first bachelor’s - that’s when it’s set in stone for LSAC purposes. Your other academic accomplishments will be helpful in showing adcomms that your UGPA doesn’t reflect your current ability to succeed in law school, but the 2.8 is what they’ll have to report for rankings purposes, so you will be a fairly extreme splitter. You may well have some decent outcomes (depending on what your goals are) but you will have to apply broadly as your cycle will be unpredictable.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:48 pm

Everything nixy said is correct. I just have to add the obvious question: Why do you want to go to law school?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:21 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:48 pm
Everything nixy said is correct. I just have to add the obvious question: Why do you want to go to law school?
Agree with all of the above.

Depending upon your career goals, a one year masters specialty degree in business may be an option for you to consider.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”