Boston University 70k COA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Onta1998

New

Boston University 70k COA?

Post by Onta1998 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

Though it is still early in my admission cycle (still waiting to hear back from 14 schools most of which are T19), because this year is so competitive I am preparing that Boston University might be my only/best option going into the fall. Based on the scholarship I currently have and the need-based aid I will get if I do go to BU, my total COA would be about 70k. I know how debt adverse this site is so I just wanted to get opinions if BU at this cost is defensible.

I have generic biglaw goals and while 33 percent of BU's class worked at firms of 500+ or a fed clerkship, I am assuming that number will decrease depending on how deep of a recession the country goes into.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Boston University 70k COA?

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:04 pm

I think some others will maybe disagree, but I'd feel comfortable going to BU for 70k and sleep soundly at night. I made the same choice for a similar school at a similar level of debt (albeit, I had a bit lower of COA but in the same ballpark). BU is a pretty strong regional school with great placement in the Boston market. If biglaw were my only goal maybe I'd be hesitant; but I personally would still rather take this deal than go to some T20s at sticker. I think the equation becomes harder if biglaw is your main goal and you've got Cornell at sticker vs this kind of option at BU, in which case, I'd lean towards C.
BU's numbers may go down a little, but I'd still personally feel comfortable at this level of debt.
There's no harm in retaking and reapplying though for more options next cycle.
Last edited by crazywafflez on Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 pm

$70k for a T1 school is more than okay; that said, this only makes sense if you're okay with non-biglaw outcomes that would be attainable from median at BU.

ignorantfoot96

New

Post by ignorantfoot96 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:30 pm

I agree with crazywaffles, I think 70k total for BU is pretty defensible and I think you're understanding of the employment outcomes is fantastic. There is a good chance big law won't happen, but 70k is serviceable with mid-law salaries and there is always the chance that you do land big law and have a low debt service (BU places well in Boston).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”