Should I reapply next cycle? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jackdawson

New

Should I reapply next cycle?

Post by jackdawson » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:06 pm

My ultimate goal is to do environmental law in DC for a top nonprofit, such as the Sierra Club. After some research, I've realized that I might have applied to the wrong schools this cycle. I have a 171 LSAT and a 3.75 GPA from a top public university. Decent softs, nothing super special. The only T14s that I applied to were Georgetown and UVA, because I really want to be in DC and figured that if I didn't get into Georgetown then George Washington would be the next best option.

As of right now, I'm waitlisted at Georgetown (apparently they waitlisted everyone and their grandmother this year) and haven't yet heard back from UVA. I've been offered very big scholarships at GW and Emory which, combined with the help that my parents are giving me, would mean that I would graduate pretty much debt free from either school. After more research, though, it seems like GW is pretty looked down upon, especially in the public interest sector, and that it will be much harder to get my dream job with a GW degree than it would be from a T14, even though most aren't near DC.

I'm a little frustrated with myself, because I've realized that I should have applied to pretty much everywhere in the T14 from CCN on down. With that being said, however, I know that this application cycle has had 50% more applications than the previous cycle, and that this unprecedented surge has made it MUCH harder to get into top law schools. It also doesn't seem like the surge is slowing down, and that it could be even more competitive next year.

I guess my question is, given the high level of competition from an unprecedented number of applicants, if I should take my GW scholarship and run with it, or if I should wait it out and reapply next cycle. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

cavalier1138

Re: Should I reapply next cycle?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:02 am

jackdawson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:06 pm
I'm a little frustrated with myself, because I've realized that I should have applied to pretty much everywhere in the T14 from CCN on down. With that being said, however, I know that this application cycle has had 50% more applications than the previous cycle, and that this unprecedented surge has made it MUCH harder to get into top law schools. It also doesn't seem like the surge is slowing down, and that it could be even more competitive next year.
I don't know whether these numbers are accurate for this year, but never try and predict "surges" in applications. The LSAT/GPA medians remain relatively static for the T13, and you are correct that you should have applied more broadly. It also sounds like you applied later in the cycle (i.e. you shouldn't be waiting on UVA at this point).

So yes, I would reapply next cycle. Major NGOs/non-profits with DC offices generally do not prioritize hiring from DC schools; they prioritize hiring from top schools.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:05 am

I agree with Cav. If something happens on UVA's waitlist, go ahead and jump in. I guess the same could be said of Gtown if you're comfortable with that level of debt for it.
I think your goals really need a T14 or T20 school (Vandy/UCLA/UT/WashU). I don't think Emory will get you there; not that Emory or GW grads can't get this kind of job, I just think it is much harder. I do think you'd have a better go of it from GW though than Emory just purely off doing internships/externships with whatever office you're interested in (however, I'll let someone more knowledgeable jump in). If your goals were more generic or something I'd say go for GW/Emory, but I think you're doing yourself a disfavor by not waiting and reapplying (unless you get into UVA, in which case, I'd go).
Cycles are not entirely predictable, but as Cav said, the medians kinda float around the same.
Best of luck.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:52 pm

Are you willing to go into debt in order for a better shot at at your dream job ?

Are you willing to retake the LSAT if you sit out for a year ?

Have you examined the educational backgrounds of Sierra Club type lawyers ? How realistic is such an opportunity even from a lower T-14 law school ? Do you have any experience or special qualifications in environmental matters ?

How much scholarship money were you offered by GWU ? By Emory ?

jackdawson

New

Post by jackdawson » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:52 pm
Are you willing to go into debt in order for a better shot at at your dream job ?

Are you willing to retake the LSAT if you sit out for a year ?

Have you examined the educational backgrounds of Sierra Club type lawyers ? How realistic is such an opportunity even from a lower T-14 law school ? Do you have any experience or special qualifications in environmental matters ?

How much scholarship money were you offered by GWU ? By Emory ?
Thanks for your questions! I'm sorry for the late response -- it's been a super hectic month. I am willing to go into debt for my dream job. However, I am not willing to retake the LSAT -- I studied full-time for months and months to get that score, and I think that that's as good as it's going to get (not to mention that I no longer have that kind of time to be able to put towards it, as I work full-time now). I have done research on the attorneys at the Sierra Club (and other similar environmental nonprofits), and there are a good amount from lower T-14s, as well as a rare few from T20 and T30 schools. I was offered $$ from GW, and $$$ from Emory. With the help that my parents are giving me, I would graduate entirely debt-free from either school.

So basically, I have a big decision to make over the next month!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:30 pm

https://curriculum.law.georgetown.edu/l ... nergy-law/

Take the scholarship money at Emory or at GWU.

Do whatever you can to get an internship/externship with an agency which matches your interests--even if it means working as a volunteer.

The money saved through scholarship awards should be more than enough to get you through an LLM in environmental law if you remain determined to pursue this area, but were unable to obtain fulltime employment.

P.S. There is no absolute correct answer to your question. But, because law students' interests can & do change, a safe approach is to accept the scholarship offer from either Emory $$$ or GWU $$ and work as hard as you can to get a relevant internship.

If you pursue an LLM in Environmental Law, participate on the Environmental Law Journal & try to get published. Build relationships with the environmental law profs = network.

However, it is also reasonable to wait until next cycle & reapply to more T-14s if you are comfortable with debt & pursuing a career in a field without a great number of jobs that you want.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:42 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:30 pm
The money saved through scholarship awards should be more than enough to get you through an LLM in environmental law if you remain determined to pursue this area, but were unable to obtain fulltime employment.
Why would that be a good option? The OP is not an international student with an LLB; there's no indication an LLM in environmental law is helpful in hiring in that field (or that LLMs are helpful in any field except tax).

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:48 pm

I understand the prevailing view on LLM degrees on this website. I know of too many exceptions to make blanket statements regarding LLM programs.

As I wrote above, there is no one correct answer--but there are options for OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”