Ohio Schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tomtownsend

New

Re: Ohio Schools

Post by tomtownsend » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:52 pm

mandrewsf wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:28 pm
OP, listen to these guys, no matter how blunt their words sound. Law's a tough profession where most fail (as in undershoot their goals) and few succeed, so you could never be overprepared. Just hearing the advice from those around you is not enough.

I would also highly recommend that you retake the LSAT. The LSAT might be one of the hardest thing that you've done so far in life (which is the case for probably most of us who have just decided to study law), yet the LSAT might also be one of the easiest things you must do during the course of your legal career. 152 is barely above the median, and the median law student's chance of achieving significant career goals just isn't that great in a profession as bi-modally distributed as law. Getting a 160 at a minimum is a fairly achievable goal since most of what you need to learn to get that score are what you could call "low-hanging fruits". Imho if you could just thoroughly understand and apply conditional relationships in the LSAT, I would struggle to see how you'd score lower than 165, which is already the 90th percentile. I would also recommend that you check out the TLS study guides to get you thinking about how to improve your score. Those helped me a lot.
Okay but I got into Akron this week with 10K OFF TUITION PER ANUM so long as I meet the gpa line. Don’t plan on retaking if I’m into a school, not like my lsat will be on my resume

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:56 pm

No, but your school will be, and your name will be on the promissory note.

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:58 pm

nixy wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:56 pm
Akron meets my goals. I’m not worried about the debt that much because of my credit score

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:35 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:58 pm
nixy wrote:
Akron meets my goals. I’m not worried about the debt that much because of my credit score
This is an incredible troll lmao

mandrewsf

New

Post by mandrewsf » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:57 pm

Fireworks2016 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:35 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
nixy wrote:
Yeah, hard to tell if he's serious or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:02 pm

Fireworks2016 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:35 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
nixy wrote:
You know, I acted pretty polite until I was insulted and called Boo ad nauseum

logan3000

New

Post by logan3000 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:07 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
nixy wrote:

lol

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:10 pm

logan3000 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:07 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
nixy wrote:

lol
Why are my finances funny to you

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:09 pm

For somebody who asked for advice on choosing a law school, you seem unwilling to listen.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:10 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:09 pm
For somebody who asked for advice on choosing a law school, you seem unwilling to listen.
I said thank you for your advice. What part didn’t I not follow?

kingfish743

New

Post by kingfish743 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:37 pm

Based on this guy's inability to fully grasp the financial implications of attending law school, and his unwillingness to study for a VERY learnable test, just let him pay for one of his classmates' education. Asking advice on law school, a highly intellectual pursuit, then arguing with everyone who suggests you retake the LSAT only illustrates your lack of commitment and suitability. You have lawyers on here, lawyers who have been through the precise process you're asking about, and you're arguing with them when they give you variables you should consider as if they're irrelevant.

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:50 am

kingfish743 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:37 pm
Based on this guy's inability to fully grasp the financial implications of attending law school, and his unwillingness to study for a VERY learnable test, just let him pay for one of his classmates' education. Asking advice on law school, a highly intellectual pursuit, then arguing with everyone who suggests you retake the LSAT only illustrates your lack of commitment and suitability. You have lawyers on here, lawyers who have been through the precise process you're asking about, and you're arguing with them when they give you variables you should consider as if they're irrelevant.
Let me giv you variables you should consider relevant before posting. I studied for the lsat and cannot get a higher score. As in, I will never get a higher score. Need to work with what I’ve got. What don’t I understand about implications of my finances? I have already talked through the financials in details.

What variables have I ignored? I talked through all. The only variable I’ll ignore is the dumb politics convo I steered clear of.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:13 pm

How long did you study, how did you study, how many practice tests did you take, and how many times did you take the actual test?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:16 pm

nixy wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:13 pm
How long did you study, how did you study, how many practice tests did you take, and how many times did you take the actual test?
What if I say I studied 20 hours a day, five days a week, for three years, taking every single practice test publicly available and I took the actual test twice?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:27 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:16 pm
nixy wrote:
What if I say I studied 20 hours a day, five days a week, for three years, taking every single practice test publicly available and I took the actual test twice?
I’d say you were lying, because no one in college (actually, no one at all) is studying the LSAT 20 hours a day. But I’d also want to know how you were studying, because some forms of study are more effective than others.

ESQ92

New

Post by ESQ92 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:28 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
nixy wrote:
I know your answer was hyperbole, but you need to understand that law school success really is just a series of studying for and doing well on exams, culminating in the bar exam which you need to pass to get licensed. A law school professor once told me that "law school grades don't speak, they SHOUT!" And he was right. Your ability to do well on law school exams (thus, your grades / class rank) largely dictates which doors will be open for you after you graduate (assuming you pass the bar of course).
If you really did put in even a fraction of that study time you posted to end up with a 152 on the LSAT, then test taking is not one of your strong points and law school may not be the best option for you. The LSAT is a cake walk compared to the bar exam which you will have to take in 3 years. You don't want to spend $$$ and three years of your life to be blocked from entry by the bar exam.

And as a practicing lawyer, I can tell you that it doesn't end with law school either. The practice of law (especially litigation) often feels like a series of studying for and writing exams. If you don't like tests, lawyering may not be the best choice. Just my $0.02.

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:50 pm

nixy wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:27 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
nixy wrote:
I’d say you were lying, because no one in college (actually, no one at all) is studying the LSAT 20 hours a day. But I’d also want to know how you were studying, because some forms of study are more effective than others.
Drilling the different parts. Paid tutor. Coaching from classmates. Tons of practice tests timed. Go over wrong answers. Doing it all. Not going to higher so I want advice that is based on not retaking again

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:54 pm

ESQ92 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:28 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
nixy wrote:
I know your answer was hyperbole, but you need to understand that law school success really is just a series of studying for and doing well on exams, culminating in the bar exam which you need to pass to get licensed. A law school professor once told me that "law school grades don't speak, they SHOUT!" And he was right. Your ability to do well on law school exams (thus, your grades / class rank) largely dictates which doors will be open for you after you graduate (assuming you pass the bar of course).
If you really did put in even a fraction of that study time you posted to end up with a 152 on the LSAT, then test taking is not one of your strong points and law school may not be the best option for you. The LSAT is a cake walk compared to the bar exam which you will have to take in 3 years. You don't want to spend $$$ and three years of your life to be blocked from entry by the bar exam.

And as a practicing lawyer, I can tell you that it doesn't end with law school either. The practice of law (especially litigation) often feels like a series of studying for and writing exams. If you don't like tests, lawyering may not be the best choice. Just my $0.02.
Wow pretty pessimistic, especially bc all attorneys I talk to say if you study enough you pass the bar without question. Like, you will pass the bar if you do the test prep and truck thru it.

I think what your all forgetting is that the bar and law school exams are on law. Their not on grammar or “logic” or games or vocab tests like the lsat. I know with my passion for law I will do well on the former and my disinterest in the lsat material is holding me back, even with so much time studying for it.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:38 pm

Look, I actually agree that people can just hit a cap on the LSAT (not as often as people think they have, but it can happen), but 1) it tests reading comprehension (not grammar) and logic, abilities that are key to law school success, and 2) not succeeding unless you find the material interesting is a guarantee for failure in law.

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:22 pm

nixy wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:38 pm
Look, I actually agree that people can just hit a cap on the LSAT (not as often as people think they have, but it can happen), but 1) it tests reading comprehension (not grammar) and logic, abilities that are key to law school success, and 2) not succeeding unless you find the material interesting is a guarantee for failure in law.
How is two possibly true? Do you hate law? It is truly my calling and i can’t imagine doing anything else. Everything I know and read about it and every time I talk to attorneys I’m fascinated.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:51 pm

My point is that you are going to be confronted with stuff you don't enjoy in law school. And practicing law is really different from studying about it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:51 am

tomtownsend wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:54 pm
I think what your all forgetting is that the bar and law school exams are on law. Their not on grammar or “logic” or games or vocab tests like the lsat.
Except logical reasoning is absolutely essential for analyzing legal issues. And lawyers spend over 50% of their time writing things. No, law schools don't directly test these skills. They're considered baseline requirements, which is why they're tested on the admissions exam, not in school itself. You're expected to have these skills when you start. There are plenty of fair criticisms to level at the LSAT, but there are reasons that they test these specific areas for admission to law school.

Which is all to say that I agree with others that you're going to have a rough time in law school and on the bar exam if your LSAT peak after that much studying is 152.

I'm also extremely skeptical that you're going to be passionate about all your required courses based on what you've written here. It sounds like you really like criminal law, which is great. Crim is one of seven required doctrinal courses you take in 1L. So I hope you're equally excited about reading wills and determining the personal jurisdiction of the courts. Again, this is not a requirement for practicing law or being a good lawyer, but if you need to find a subject interesting in order to do well on an exam, you're going to be in trouble in school.

ESQ92

New

Post by ESQ92 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:06 pm

OP, I know it sounds like we're all shitting on you, but I want to help. Look, with a 152 you said your school already gave you $10k off per year. Imagine what you'll get with a 160 LSAT (which is totally doable, trust me). I admire your enthusiasm to jump right in to law school, but consider this: you only get ONE shot at law school in your life. Wouldn't you want to take just a little bit more time and prep to maximize your law school experience? (By boosting your score a bit and getting into a better school or more $$$ at your target school?). Because these things really do matter, and I want to see you graduate with no regrets.

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:12 pm

nixy wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:51 pm
My point is that you are going to be confronted with stuff you don't enjoy in law school. And practicing law is really different from studying about it.
lol debatable. Sorry you didn’t enjoy law school

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:15 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:51 am
tomtownsend wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:54 pm
I think what your all forgetting is that the bar and law school exams are on law. Their not on grammar or “logic” or games or vocab tests like the lsat.
Except logical reasoning is absolutely essential for analyzing legal issues. And lawyers spend over 50% of their time writing things. No, law schools don't directly test these skills. They're considered baseline requirements, which is why they're tested on the admissions exam, not in school itself. You're expected to have these skills when you start. There are plenty of fair criticisms to level at the LSAT, but there are reasons that they test these specific areas for admission to law school.

Which is all to say that I agree with others that you're going to have a rough time in law school and on the bar exam if your LSAT peak after that much studying is 152.

I'm also extremely skeptical that you're going to be passionate about all your required courses based on what you've written here. It sounds like you really like criminal law, which is great. Crim is one of seven required doctrinal courses you take in 1L. So I hope you're equally excited about reading wills and determining the personal jurisdiction of the courts. Again, this is not a requirement for practicing law or being a good lawyer, but if you need to find a subject interesting in order to do well on an exam, you're going to be in trouble in school.
Lol wills and personal jurisdiction? No problem.

If a 152 is so bad why can I go to law school w that w a partial scholarship in the state I want to? Like, there is a limit with SAT and MEd school testing below which you don’t go to school

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”