Reapplying to Law School as a 1L Dropout? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
throwaway33434

New

Reapplying to Law School as a 1L Dropout?

Post by throwaway33434 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:49 pm

Apologies if this isn't the correct sub-forum to post this thread.

A little bit about myself:
I dropped out of a T14 after one semester, six years ago. I was a K-JD and simply too immature for the academic and professional challenges of law school. I didn't take it seriously and combined with some personal/family issues I was dealing with at the time, I wasn't doing too well. I decided to dropout and complete a Master of Arts in Teaching (because what else are you going to do with a degree in political science?). Since completing my master's degree, I've been teaching High School history. While I do enjoy teaching, a part of me has always wanted to go back to law school. I've grown a lot since then and think I would perform substantially better in law school if I took another crack at it.

I'm concerned about how much my past experience with law school would hurt my application chances. Would being a 1L dropout significantly hurt my application, even though it was six years ago and I've been working full time since then? Or would having years of work experience make up for that? I'm curious to hear what others think. I can provide some more information if it'd help.

Thanks for reading.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Reapplying to Law School as a 1L Dropout?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:45 pm

You have a reasonable story to tell. With a decent LSAT score, schools won't bat an eye.

throwaway33434

New

Post by throwaway33434 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:56 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:45 pm
You have a reasonable story to tell. With a decent LSAT score, schools won't bat an eye.
Even T14 schools? Would my grades from that one semester of law school carry over or would I be able to start fresh? Thanks for the help - I couldn't find much information on situations like mine.

throwaway33434

New

Post by throwaway33434 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:50 pm

I'm curious to hear some other opinions or if anyone has had a similar experience. I am a little hesitant to go through the whole process of preparing for the LSAT and the application process if I would be shut out of going to a good law school. I haven't been able to find much information about situations like mine, unfortunately.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:37 pm

throwaway33434 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:50 pm
I'm curious to hear some other opinions or if anyone has had a similar experience. I am a little hesitant to go through the whole process of preparing for the LSAT and the application process if I would be shut out of going to a good law school. I haven't been able to find much information about situations like mine, unfortunately.
Call a few admissions offices (anonymously of course) and inquire about your situation in the hypothetical

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:07 pm

No problem,although if reapplying to your old school, you should call and address the situation with an admissions officer.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:09 pm

You're fine. Just take the LSAT or GRE and reapply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”