Can you chance me please ? INTERNATIONAL APP Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FrenchMomo

New

Can you chance me please ? INTERNATIONAL APP

Post by FrenchMomo » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:38 am

Hello guys,

My softs :

- Fluent in 3 languages

- Was the CEO of my own e-com successful company at 19 years old and sold my business

- From a well know persecuted minority (Not URM)

- French undergraduate legal education

- 3 very great LOR

Numbers :

170 LSAT (2nd take)

« Average » rating by LSAC for foreign education (but they did not take into account my ranking which is in the top 20% of the class - wrote an addendum about it) - But this classification does not count toward their medians.

What are my chances ? I’m hoping for Berkeley - UCLA - Georgetown since my LSAT is over their median.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Can you chance me please ? INTERNATIONAL APP

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:49 am

By far the most important element of your application is your LSAT score; the good news is you've got a great score. Having an average rating I think might hurt you a bit- usually I tell folks the rating doesn't matter too much but I mostly see above average and superior. That isn't to say that an average will totally blow your chances, just be prepped that some admins will not be thrilled with that. Your softs are normal for T1, or at least T20 students- unless you sold your company for millions, in which case disregard most of my advice and do whatever you feel like. UCLA and Gtown I think you'll get into. I think you could possibly snag a few more in the lower end T14- I'd apply broadly to the T20. However, if you do go to a non T14 and don't secure biglaw it'll be tough to get a visa sponsor as mostly big law firms are the ones that do sponsor folks.

FrenchMomo

New

Post by FrenchMomo » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:42 am

Thank you so much this is really helpful! If I can get into UCLA and GULC which one would be the best for me in your opinion?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:12 am

What do you want to do with your degree and where do you want to do it?

FrenchMomo

New

Post by FrenchMomo » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:28 am

I'm planning to work either for a French-american coporate law firm in the US (Cal or NY), since I will also have a french master degree in coporate law and will be a lawyer in france by graduation, so my degrees will be perfect for the available jobs. Or either work for a big law firm in the US with an office in the UK (maybe France ?) if I don't get the H1B or another type of visa.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:42 am

This kinda out of my knowledge base- I know very little about how that kind of hiring would work. Honestly, if the job is in California, I think UCLA is a fine pick. If it is in NYC, I'd for sure pick Gtown (or whatever other T14 you get into). Not that UCLA couldn't place in NYC, it is just harder. If you are going abroad though, I think the Gtown degree will carry you further. I am unfamiliar with France, but in the Middle East and UK, gtown has some prestige pull for jobs and a small alumni network (very small, but it is there and known). I haven't met any alum from UCLA while abroad and I think most folks think of it as akin to UTk or U of A abroad. If you are fine with Cali or feel no matter which one you choose you'll have an option open in France, go with UCLA (or whatever is cheapest). If you don't really know I tihnk the safer pick is gtown- better chance at abroad work, and safer option for NYC biglaw / sponsorship.
I think you should actually try for UCB, Cornell, Penn etc., as well as gtown and UCLA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”